Stabilize handheld shot

Hello!

Although I began using Mocha Pro for over six months, I’m still trying to grasp the basics.
I’m trying to stabilize this handheld shot, which consists in a traveling forward, a U turn with a pan and a traveling to the left.

I tracked the whole shot, with several splines in the same layer.
Then, I tried to apply different stabilizations in each of these parts, but I don’t know if that can be done, nor how.
I also do not know if this is the correct approach, so I’m in need of advice.

Can anyone help me?
Thank you in advance.

I would use one shape, track translation scale and rotation only, and follow various walls in the shot. Then I would not try using maximum smoothing, but instead try smoothing every ten frames stabilizing only translation in X and Y and rotation, not using zoom at all in my stabilize. This is not an easy stabilize. And you will not “lock” this shot down, you can only really smooth the motion to an acceptable degree.

1 Like

Hello, Mary!
Thank you very much for your tip.

I did the tracking, then the stabilization, according to your indications.
This was the result.

Since the image went off screen, I decided not to stabilize in X translation, remaining with Y translation and rotation.
This was the result

This time, the image stayed always on screen and smoother. Just as you said, the shot is not “locked down”, nor I expected it to be.

Please let me know what you think.

I definitely think that is easier to watch! As long as you are happy with it, I think that’s what matters. The “right” way to work on a shot is the way that makes it fit your vision. :slight_smile: