Stabilized Tracking Data to Nuke

How do you go about replicating stabilized module in Nuke?
I’ve received stabilized tracking data as Nuke 7 Tracker.
Stabilizing only X translation and rotation. Tried exporting transform (stabilize) using 4 trackers provided, however, I’m not able to replicate the same move as it is in Mocha generated output, what is wrong, what step am I missing, what options to tick in Nuke’s tracker node?

Are you using the “invert” checkbox when you export the data? Try this:

1. Track your planar area as rock solid as possible, use adjust track to get it perfect if necessary. For camera stabilization, you’re correct that translation, scale, and rotation only will probably give you the best results. For paint work stabilization, you may want to use shear and perspective as well.
  2. Align your surface to the frame you want to stabilize around inside of Mocha Pro.
  3. Go to “export tracking data” and select the “nuke corner pin” option, then select “invert” in the checkbox by the export options dropdown.
  4. Select the “copy to clipboard” option.
  5. Save and close Mocha Pro.
  6. In Nuke, select your footage node, and then paste your tracking data from Mocha Pro.

You should now have an inverted corner pin stabilization inside of Nuke.
Please let me know if you have any questions and I will be happy to help you.

Cheers,
Mary

Sorry, forgot to mention that this shot is a hand held (crane like shot) and we just want to smooth the motion of the camera.
We are tracking translation, scale, rotation, and shear, not perfect, but the question is not so much about tracking part.
The question is about “replicating” stabilize module, there we use X translation and rotation as Smooth parameters?

The idea is to combine multiple “stabilize module” outputs together, as we are not able to compute good track on just one layer, because, we do not have the same planar are throughout the shot.

The shot starts behind a person so we track his back, afterwards as the shot goes away from a person we can track a wall. Unfortunately stabilize module can only use one surface, not possible to tell it to stabilize using this layer but after X frames use this layer as stabilization.

Unfortunately, to replicate the smoothing ability and frame selection utility found in the stabilize module in Mocha Pro, you’d need to purchase Mocha Pro and apply the stabilize in the plugin back to your timeline live or render it out of Mocha Pro. Or you can export the tracker node out of the stabilize module. There’s not a good way to node that out, as far as I know. Though I am sure if you just wanted smoothing and not the anchor frames there’s ways to do that in Nuke. (http://www.nukepedia.com/expressions/smoothing-animation-curves/)

But the yearly subscription is very reasonable for the OFX plugin version, you can buy that here: https://borisfx.com/store/?collection=mocha-pro&product=mocha-pro

Select the Mocha for OFX option, and select the annual sub option for the best price we have.

Cheers,
Mary

On further thinking about it, and discussing it with @rosss, you could try using the align surface tool to make end points between tracking areas and link all of those together. It would be a real pain, and real piecemeal, but you could do it. So long as your connecting frames all used “align surface” they should line up on those frames. So for instance, frames 1-100, you’d put the align surface on frame 100, the only problem would be then where you link the data up, and that’s where you run into an issue. You can’t use align surface on frame 101 and 200, you’d have to use align surface on frame 101 and then blend as best you could from 200 on out.

Does that make sense?

Cheers,
Mary

FWIW - I think the built in tracker can do what you want out of the box via ref frames and the ctrl’s in the screen grab so you could probably get to where you want with a bunch of linked transforms and some manual transforms for offsets - if I understood the problem correctly.08

I think as long as the shot isn’t too blurry or fast that could work, the problem comes where you need something like the Mocha tracker to hang on more reliably. Depending on the shot, you might totally get away with that method.

Yes - you could use Mocha tracking data, paste into a Nuke Tracker node and then use the smooth function. As far as smoothing from multiple areas of a shot, as long as the tracked surfaces are “sort of relative” you can probably get away with combining multiple tracks OR even using one layer in Mocha tracking on transform and changing the search area as new areas come in/out of frame. Typically these type of smooth/stabilize projects only need x,y & rotation data to smooth. Many ways to handle it! :wink:

1 Like

I mean to say definitely use Mocha for the track part just use Nuke Tracker to bring it all together …
… I’ve done this a lot on Non Mocha data in this scenario I just think the “Align Surface” frame would become the “Ref Fr” for each Tracker node and on down the chain.

1 Like

The OFX option is pretty fine, but I thought the ability of exporting Stabilized Tracking Data would translate the same Stabilization to Nuke…?

We could use OFX version and use the Stabilize module render, which does what needs to be done, however, it does crop the image outside of its original size, is there a way to apply tracking but not crop? (by cropping I mean when the image goes outside of the frame it is cropped, so I can’t do manual transform corrections after stabilize module)

You absolutely should be able to export the stabilized tracking data from the stabilize module. Are you having trouble doing so?

I have no trouble exporting, however, can’t find the correct way of doing that. Exported results never equal what I see in Mocha.

Ok. Let me do some tests.

What I’ve tried:
Mocha: Export Stabilized Tracking Data -> Nuke 7 Tracker
Nuke: Checking T, R in track 1 -> Set reference frame to the Mocha’s “Layer In” -> Export Transform (stabilize) -> Remove Y translation animation from Transform_Stabilize

Combinations I did in Nuke - same as above, but also separately for each tracker, and also using all trackers at the same time. (Checking T, R in track 1; Checking T, R in track 2; Checking T, R in track 3; Checking T, R in track 4)

Yeah, that’s never worked.
If you want stabilized data from mocha to be pixel accurate in Nuke:

Paste the track/stabe into Nuke.
Select the 4 tracks, go to any frame that you added to the “Frame List” (in the Mocha Stabe Mod), and create a referenced CornerPin or a Baked CornerPin.
Use that.

Most of my film work over the last 10 years has been stabilizing footage, so I’ve used all kinds of crazy combos.
For example, you can break apart the Stabe export into Rotate only, X only and Y only from the same track, but with different smoothing options, stack them all back up in Nuke and it works.
It’d be nice if you had those controls inside of Mocha.

It’d also be nice if you could grab 2 corners in the Adjust module and move them together.
:slight_smile:
T

1 Like

If it’s broken it’s definitely something we need to fix, thank you for letting us know.

Clicking the check boxes on the tracker node in Nuke doesn’t work for exporting ‘regular’ tracks into Nuke either.
Although I haven’t tried to do that in many years.

T

If it’s not broken, please let me know how to do it, or at least use stabilize module extending the canvas and not clipping the image…

Have you tried using the Crop tool w reformat option to “force” a large enough “canvas” to contain all the pixels before passing it to the OFX plugin ?

You’ll have to retrack but that shouldn’t be to much of a problem.

Personally I cannot understand why the exported tracker’s won’t work but don’t have a working copy of Mocha in front of me to test with …

sure… but that is disappointing, one would think that exporting stabilize data would work… now that we did good stabilization there, we really don’t want to hack through