Stabilizer

—Quote (Originally by steve oakley)—
here you go… real shot from a real job.
once you stabilize, its much easier. in this case I stabilized in combustion which worked fine, then went to try the roto so I could replace the BG with a still to get rid of the stabilzatiob artifacts. I really found the b-splines to be much harder to roto with than regular splines because the shape changes so much.
Steve Oakley
—End Quote—

Got the shot and yes agree, stablising the shot makes it a lot easier.
Let me do a recording and break down of how to tackle the shot in motor.

We will serisouly consider adding the Stabliser to motor.

i agree. Stabelization would be an important feature

I can make the shot in question avaialable for DL
STeve Oakley
—End Quote—

Once we have the shot we can suggest a work flow, without stablisation.

Your request for Stablisation inside of motor will be consdered.

So I’m trying a shot and missing something critical, a stabilizer.
—End Quote—

At this point on time we have decided not to include out Stabaliser in motor we are not convinced it is a core roto requirement. monet and mokey offer great stablisation utilising the planar tracking data and would be the tools use for replacement.

We will monitor the request for Stablisation inside of motor and probably have a poll on this and other features.

—Quote (Originally by Jay)—
At this point on time we have decided not to include out Stabaliser in motor we are not convinced it is a core roto requirement. monet and mokey offer great stablisation utilising the planar tracking data and would be the tools use for replacement.

We will monitor the request for Stablisation inside of motor and probably have a poll on this and other features.
—End Quote—

Stabilizing a plate before you roto on it is extremely common. Say you have to roto a car, and the shot was filmed with a handheld. You stabilize the shot first, do the roto, then apply the inverse of the stabilization to make the splines match the motion.

I’d say that stabilization is essential for a basic roto package. As a rule of thumb, look at what was in Commotion 2.2 (not counting paint). That feature set and level of functionality is what customers are going to expect in a roto package. I think that the overall usefulness of Motor would be greatly diminished without the ability to stabilize a plate.

So I’m trying a shot and missing something critical, a stabilizer.

the shot was hand held, and needs to be stabilized. after doing this stabilization produces some motion artifacts, but in this shot, i can replace the BG with a still image clean plate ( plus grain afterwards ) so that the motion artifacts are gone, and a moving hand doesn’t matter. that means I need to roto a hand that comes into the shot, pushes a button, and then leaves. in the final comp, I take the cutout hand, add the grained BG image, and I now have a stable shot without any artifacts. what I was expecting is that I could track the roto shape. thats just not happening. If you have ever seen or used discreet products where you outline the image, track it, and your done, thats what I was expecting, and not getting.

first, without a stabilizer, the roto is much harder, and doesn’'t serve purpose of the end goal, removing the unwanted motion in the first place. so stabilize/destabilze needs to be part of the production chain.

1. edge detecting trackers. the planer trackers are fine if you want to stick two images together, but when the item you want to roto changes shape through the shot in a significant way, they aren’t helping me. I want/need to be able to track the roto shape on an object that changes shape. I would be better off trying traditional point trackers, and making the track areas big enough to grab the areas that move. if there is a way to do this, please disclose it.is there a quick simple way to track points to a moving image that changes shape ?

sometime tomorrow, I can make the shot in question avaialable for DL
STeve Oakley

try this… webserver is acting up

http://71.98.60.159/IR/millingT4-controls_XCU.mov

28mb

Steve O

here you go… real shot from a real job.

http://71.98.60.159/im/millingT4-controls_XCU.mov

once you stabilize, its much easier. in this case I stabilized in combustion which worked fine, then went to try the roto so I could replace the BG with a still to get rid of the stabilzatiob artifacts. I really found the b-splines to be much harder to roto with than regular splines because the shape changes so much.

Steve Oakley