Stabilizing a long crane shot

For a shot like this, I would start by viewing the footage and trying to visualize elements on screen that are on the same relative plane (even if these are different objects).

Next I would find the clearest object that is on screen the longest and track this until it almost goes offscreen. Often adding multiple contours on the same layer will also help.

Before it is fully offscreen, stop the tracker and move the shape to an area on screen that is on the same relative plane to continue tracking in this direction. You will need to repeat these steps as the camera moves.

Hope this helps.
-R

—Quote (Originally by blockrocker)—
I’m trying to stabilize a clip that was shot with a crane that rises from the ground level upwards to the sky.

The question is, how should I approach the tracking in mocha, since no elements of the picture stays visible for the whole duration of the video.

Let’s say I start tracking a plane when the camera is in the ground level. When the camera moves up, I realize that I need to select something else to track. But how do I actually do that correctly in Mocha for AE. I mean should I just grab the x-spline points and move them to a different location? Or should I somehow create a new layer for the new object to track or something?

If someone could give a step by step description (or even just a basic outline) of tracking a shot like this in Mocha, I would be very gratefull!
—End Quote—

Mocha foorumille:

I’m trying to stabilize a clip that was shot with a crane that rises from the ground level upwards to the sky.

The question is, how should I approach the tracking in mocha, since no elements of the picture stays visible for the whole duration of the video.

Let’s say I start tracking a plane when the camera is in the ground level. When the camera moves up, I realize that I need to select something else to track. But how do I actually do that correctly in Mocha for AE. I mean should I just grab the x-spline points and move them to a different location? Or should I somehow create a new layer for the new object to track or something?

If someone could give a step by step description (or even just a basic outline) of tracking a shot like this in Mocha, I would be very gratefull!