Stabilizing aerial footage

This is a global question. I have a huge amount of aerial shots (Red camera footage) that needs to be stabilized and it’s proving to be much more difficult than I first thought. Of course, the file sizes are pretty massive in itself.
The footage consists primarily of stationary ground objects being flown over from a helicopter. Other shots are wide passing scenery shots.
So, what I have is the camera moving towards an object that increases in size as we approach. I am trying to remove camera shake and stabilize the shot.
What should my approach be? Should I concentrate on transform data only or should I include scale and rotation?
Picture flying towards and then over a tower on the ground maybe 500 feet up. Where would you draw your plane? The tower or a flat plane on the ground…or far off hills?
If I could zero in on what is supposed to work, I think I could experiment my way through this and find the right workflow. Thanks.

This is a global question. I have a huge amount of aerial shots (Red camera footage) that needs to be stabilized and it’s proving to be much more difficult than I first thought. Of course, the file sizes are pretty massive in itself.

The footage consists primarily of stationary ground objects being flown over from a helicopter. Other shots are wide passing scenery shots.

So, what I have is the camera moving towards an object that increases in size as we approach. I am trying to remove camera shake and stabilize the shot.

What should my approach be? Should I concentrate on transform data only or should I include scale and rotation?

Picture flying towards and then over a tower on the ground maybe 500 feet up. Where would you draw your plane? The tower or a flat plane on the ground…or far off hills?

If I could zero in on what is supposed to work, I think I could experiment my way through this and find the right workflow. Thanks.

Nobody have an opinion?

Nobody have an opinion?

I would recommend tracking with only transform on. As far as what to track, usually the ground plane (or multiple shapes on the same ground plane) work best for aerial footage.

You may want to view this tutorial which covers using track data to smooth out jitters while keeping original movement:
http://www.imagineersystems.com/products/monet/Mocha_image_stabilization.mp4

good luck,
R

—Quote (Originally by film842)—

—End Quote—

I would recommend tracking with only transform on. As far as what to track, usually the ground plane (or multiple shapes on the same ground plane) work best for aerial footage.
You may want to view this tutorial which covers using track data to smooth out jitters while keeping original movement:
http://www.imagineersystems.com/products/monet/Mocha_image_stabilization.mp4
good luck,
R