Stabilizing with Mocha Pro in Fusion

Hi,

I’m using Mocha Pro for stabilizing drone shots like this at 00:55 https://vimeo.com/339537825
Recently I switched from Premiere & AE to Davinci Resolve and I’m not sure if my current workflow is optimal.

With AE I would do the following:

1. track an object like the building
  2. adjust settings in the stabilizing module and then export the transform data
  3. apply tansform data on a null
  4. on a second null I manually set keyframes for scale, position and rotation

In Fusion I also use the stabilizing module, export “Blackmagic Fusion COMP Data” and paste that on a tracker node. After that I use a node with the corner pin effect and after that a transform node. The result is fine but what I don’t like about this method is that I have to manually connect each corner of the corner pin node to the respective path of the tracker node. Is there an easier/quicker way? I know that I could just use the “module renders” function on the Mocha Pro node. But with this method everything outside the frame get’s discarded and I can’t manually adjust the framing afterwards.

Thank you very much in advance!

Why not just use the built-in corner positioner in the exported tracker node?

Hi Martin,

thank you for your reply. I already tried that but somehow it doesn’t work. The effect doesn’t get rendered. There is only a box moving around.

With an additional corner pin node applied I get the desired effect:

But that’s a tedious process as I mentioned.

I tried a lot of different settings for the built-in corner positioner. Nothing worked so far.

You can manually adjust the framing in the Stabilize Module and render that, if that was a concern.

Yes, but then I only have control via the fixed frames and the amount of smoothing? I like to use the curve editor and precisely adjust the amount of zooming and camera movement.

In After Effects I always used a null for the stabilization keyframes (often with maximum smoothing and 1 fixed frame at the beginning of the clip) and after that a null for my manual zooming and positioning.

Yes, that is correct but this specificity in what you are looking for is good for thinking about how to improve the stabilization module. Thank you.

1 Like