Standard Camera Terms Would Be Nice

It would really be nice if the software used long-long-standing industry standard terms for camera movements.
Tilt, pan, and roll are when the camera stays stationary and rotates, up/down, left/right, and around the center, respectively. What the software calls a “pan” is actually a truck. Then there’s dolly and boom, and zoom which technically isn’t a camera movement but is still counted as one.

Absolutely true. But then a camera truck could also involve the camera panning slightly to maintain centering on the subject which, of course, a ‘pan’ within an NLE can’t do. However, terminology does change over time in many areas of our lives, and maybe for the contemporary NLE market the word ‘pan’ simply means a L to R or R to L shift rather than involving a rotate motion. I’m not sure that ‘truck’ would be so well understood these days.

In any event, in the film industry in 1970s Australia, the term ‘truck’ was not a common term; rather it was dolly L-R /R-L as it mostly occurred on rails (a different matter in TV studios where pedestals were used) so dolly was used for both in/out and L/R camera repositioning. One of my favourite shots at the time was a gentle dolly in (could even be a car mounted camera) while gently zooming out - particularly in a forest.

Also, long existing camera terminology became a bit muddied with the introduction of handheld and Steadicam cameras where movements didn’t conform to tripod/dolly/pedestal mounted camera motion - some of which can invoke a form of motion sickness when used needlessly for a ‘look’.