Support for RED Footage?

Hello

I need to track footage of RED. (*.r3d). I´m not so familiar with Mocha. Is there a way to use the red-footage directly ?

If not, i would convert it , let say *.moc , use it in Mocha, generate my needed shape and use the shae in AE with the original Red-Footage. Right or too complicate ? I´m working with CS5, here is support of the RED stuff.

Regard´s
Thomas

Hi Thomas,

At present we don’t support direct r3d files. You can convert your sequence to track it and use the tracking data on your original files. You don’t need to use the converted format to carry through to the final composite.

Alternatively you can attempt the beta QuickTime plugin available from RED (mac only). I do stress however that it is a beta so you may run into problems.

Hi Thomas,
At present we don’t support direct r3d files. You can convert your sequence to track it and use the tracking data on your original files. You don’t need to use the converted format to carry through to the final composite.
Alternatively you can attempt the beta QuickTime plugin available from RED (mac only). I do stress however that it is a beta so you may run into problems.

I’m sure something is available, but they all vary greatly.

Thomas,

Which codec are you using to convert the file? RED footage is naturally quite large, so you will get quite sizeable files when you convert to a lossless format.

Thomas,
Which codec are you using to convert the file? RED footage is naturally quite large, so you will get quite sizeable files when you convert to a lossless format.

I would recommend perhaps a format such as photo-jpeg or Animation. You will still have a reasonably high file size for the dimensions, but it won’t be anywhere near as large as an uncompressed format.

The alternative is to convert it to an image sequence rather than a quicktime file. This way you could just use a high-quality jpeg sequence to reduce the file size.

I generally don’t recommend formats such as mp4 or h.264 as they can sometime behave oddly with frame rates.

I would recommend perhaps a format such as photo-jpeg or Animation. You will still have a reasonably high file size for the dimensions, but it won’t be anywhere near as large as an uncompressed format.
The alternative is to convert it to an image sequence rather than a quicktime file. This way you could just use a high-quality jpeg sequence to reduce the file size.
I generally don’t recommend formats such as mp4 or h.264 as they can sometime behave oddly with frame rates.

I’m sure something is available, but they all vary greatly.

I think you should convert your RED footage to .mov and then track it in Mocha.

BR!
Nik

I think you should convert your RED footage to .mov and then track it in Mocha.
BR!
Nik

Hello
I need to track footage of RED. (*.r3d). I?m not so familiar with Mocha. Is there a way to use the red-footage directly ?
If not, i would convert it , let say *.moc , use it in Mocha, generate my needed shape and use the shae in AE with the original Red-Footage. Right or too complicate ? I?m working with CS5, here is support of the RED stuff.
Regard?s
Thomas

Hello Martin

At first thanx, i didn´t look at the right codec. I just make some tests now, wich could be the best one. As i explained before. I only need the stuff in mocha for generating the alphamatte, so it need not to be so highquality stuff.

I just test it with Codec H.263, with different low quality settings ? I´m not so familiar with the codec´s. As i understand, i need the one with the best compression rate.

Cinepak ? mpeg-2 ?, H.264 ( is it possible to generate 4096x2304px with H.264 ?? … …etc.

What do you recommend ?

Regards´s
Thomas

@Thank you

I go this way, convert the red footage to *.mov. The problem is, i produce a big amount of data , converting the red footage ( 4096x2304) to quicktime. Even when i convert it to , let´s say, 1280x720, i´ve a big data file. My workflow is, as you wrote:
rencoder -> red-footage -> quicktime -> mocha -> Mochad´s gar-Results" to After Effects.

Problem: DataSize of the quicktime file.

Hmmm…

Regard´s
Thomas

@Thank you
I go this way, convert the red footage to *.mov. The problem is, i produce a big amount of data , converting the red footage ( 4096x2304) to quicktime. Even when i convert it to , let?s say, 1280x720, i?ve a big data file. My workflow is, as you wrote:
rencoder → red-footage → quicktime → mocha → Mochad?s gar-Results" to After Effects.
Problem: DataSize of the quicktime file.
Hmmm…
Regard?s
Thomas

Hello Martin
At first thanx, i didn?t look at the right codec. I just make some tests now, wich could be the best one. As i explained before. I only need the stuff in mocha for generating the alphamatte, so it need not to be so highquality stuff.
I just test it with Codec H.263, with different low quality settings ? I?m not so familiar with the codec?s. As i understand, i need the one with the best compression rate.
Cinepak ? mpeg-2 ?, H.264 ( is it possible to generate 4096x2304px with H.264 ?? … …etc.
What do you recommend ?
Regards?s
Thomas

Thank you again. I will try it in the next 2 hours ;). Is there a tabelle or a comparison of “compression-rate” of the different codec´s available ? I will google, of course.

Thank you again. I will try it in the next 2 hours ;). Is there a tabelle or a comparison of “compression-rate” of the different codec?s available ? I will google, of course.