Surface not aligning after reopening a project

hi,
i have to track a 12 min long clip, so i track then manually adjust, then track, then adjust etc.

during the work i don’t get any visible problem… my surface is fine all the time, follows perfectly my adjustments… until i close my project. when i reopen the project again my surface goes crazy. the four reference points of the adjustment track are still looking correct on all the keyframes i’ve made, but the surface does not align to them…
the x-spline look also correct (except few times where it goes also crazy between some keyframes, but it could be due to the keyframes, though i didn’t notice this before closing the project)…

when i try to fix the surface by drugging it’s corners, aligning them to the correspondent reference points, the surface will align only on that frame and then it will slowly go off the right position…

and this happened not only on one project…

first question: why it could happened? should i do something before closing a project in order to ovoid this?

second: is it possible now to restore the surface somehow?

i’m really desperate don’t know what to do…
could anybody help?

thanx a lot

The main issue here may actually be the size of the file. Can you send me one of the problem .mocha files? It should zip down reasonably small.

martinb[at]imagineersystems{dot}com

You don’t need to send me the actual footage (unless you have a compressed version), but if you can tell me the exact length or better yet the amount of frames, I will be able to check.

Hi qwert,

Twelve minutes is an extraordinarily long shot to track. Is it one entire sequence without cuts?

Tracking and Adjustment are two processes that should be done one after another. This means you track the entire shot then do your adjustments if necessary in the Adjust Track module. It is not advised to track a small portion then use adjust track, then track some more. This will not give you good results.

What exactly do you need tracked in the shot?

Hi qwert,
Twelve minutes is an extraordinarily long shot to track. Is it one entire sequence without cuts?
Tracking and Adjustment are two processes that should be done one after another. This means you track the entire shot then do your adjustments if necessary in the Adjust Track module. It is not advised to track a small portion then use adjust track, then track some more. This will not give you good results.
What exactly do you need tracked in the shot?

The main issue here may actually be the size of the file. Can you send me one of the problem .mocha files? It should zip down reasonably small.
martinb[at]imagineersystems{dot}com
You don’t need to send me the actual footage (unless you have a compressed version), but if you can tell me the exact length or better yet the amount of frames, I will be able to check.

already the third day trying to solve my problem… no result… can’t get any further… i even tried already to finish the job without closing mocha… then mocha crashed once and i had to start everything over again… because after reopening my project i can’t fix the position of the surface anymore… the only solution i found is to kill all my keyframes on the adjustTrack and do my adjustments from scratch again… hoping mocha will not crash and i could finish my job without leaving the program… which is really not a good solution since my sequence is 12 minutes long…
am i making some basic mistake? please any suggestions will be very appreciated!

to illustrate my problem here are to snapshots…
before closing the project and after reopening…

hi,
i have to track a 12 min long clip, so i track then manually adjust, then track, then adjust etc.
during the work i don’t get any visible problem… my surface is fine all the time, follows perfectly my adjustments… until i close my project. when i reopen the project again my surface goes crazy. the four reference points of the adjustment track are still looking correct on all the keyframes i’ve made, but the surface does not align to them…
the x-spline look also correct (except few times where it goes also crazy between some keyframes, but it could be due to the keyframes, though i didn’t notice this before closing the project)…
when i try to fix the surface by drugging it’s corners, aligning them to the correspondent reference points, the surface will align only on that frame and then it will slowly go off the right position…
and this happened not only on one project…
first question: why it could happened? should i do something before closing a project in order to ovoid this?
second: is it possible now to restore the surface somehow?
i’m really desperate don’t know what to do…
could anybody help?
thanx a lot

already the third day trying to solve my problem… no result… can’t get any further… i even tried already to finish the job without closing mocha… then mocha crashed once and i had to start everything over again… because after reopening my project i can’t fix the position of the surface anymore… the only solution i found is to kill all my keyframes on the adjustTrack and do my adjustments from scratch again… hoping mocha will not crash and i could finish my job without leaving the program… which is really not a good solution since my sequence is 12 minutes long…
am i making some basic mistake? please any suggestions will be very appreciated!
to illustrate my problem here are to snapshots…
before closing the project and after reopening…

hi martinb,
thank you very much for your reply.

my clip is one long shot without cuts… i need to track and roto the face of a piano player there.
the shot is ‘quite simple’… there is no camera movement there… though the piano player moves… he turns his head a lot, some times he stands up etc.

in fact i’d tried to track entire sequence first before adjusting manually, but then time to time my x-spline got squeezed extremely… so i need to make a lot of keyframes for the x-spline… it means every time i need to move almost each vertex of my x-spline manually. although i try to use the ‘rotate’, ‘move’ and ‘scale’ tools a lot, but many times they can not help much… especially the ‘scale’ tool, which, as far as i know, is able to scale only ‘uniformly’ (can’t find the way to scale only horizontally or vertically, which would be very helpful)…
therefore i decided to track & adjust & track… this way i spend much less time for adjusting my x-spline because i adjust here only 4 point (reference points) instead of 11 points on the x-spline and my x-spline follows the adjustments perfectly…
however the fact that i lose my work every time after reopening the project makes this advantage meaningless…

i’ll try to track entire sequence and only after that will try to adjust… do you think i won’t get the same problem again?

thanks a lot

hi martinb,
thank you very much for your reply.
my clip is one long shot without cuts… i need to track and roto the face of a piano player there.
the shot is ‘quite simple’… there is no camera movement there… though the piano player moves… he turns his head a lot, some times he stands up etc.
in fact i’d tried to track entire sequence first before adjusting manually, but then time to time my x-spline got squeezed extremely… so i need to make a lot of keyframes for the x-spline… it means every time i need to move almost each vertex of my x-spline manually. although i try to use the ‘rotate’, ‘move’ and ‘scale’ tools a lot, but many times they can not help much… especially the ‘scale’ tool, which, as far as i know, is able to scale only ‘uniformly’ (can’t find the way to scale only horizontally or vertically, which would be very helpful)…
therefore i decided to track & adjust & track… this way i spend much less time for adjusting my x-spline because i adjust here only 4 point (reference points) instead of 11 points on the x-spline and my x-spline follows the adjustments perfectly…
however the fact that i lose my work every time after reopening the project makes this advantage meaningless…
i’ll try to track entire sequence and only after that will try to adjust… do you think i won’t get the same problem again?
thanks a lot

hi martinb, i’ve sent you an email with my problem .mocha file

looking forward to hear your suggestions…

thanks

hi martinb, i’ve sent you an email with my problem .mocha file
looking forward to hear your suggestions…
thanks