This should be easy right? (Mocha/AE Question)

I’ve spent about three hours on this shot and I cannot figure out why this is so difficult! Here, I made a video to show you my question rather than attempt to explain it…

Now, I’ve tried aligning the track to the surface, I’ve tried adjusting the track, but for some reason the buildings seem to grow. This is not parallax. I’ve removed the scaling in the null object, and I’ve triple confirmed that the buildings have no animation in or on the comp.

I’ve watched Andrews ‘set extension’ tutorial a billion times before this doing similar work and I’ve never had this issue. As you can see here, I did the panning up shot, and it worked just fine. Easy! And the kicker is that I’ve done ton of stuff like this before. It’s this one shot that’s giving me a hard time…

So, I ask for your help. Thanks in advance.

if the track looks good in mocha and off in AE, it is usually frame rate, pixel aspect or the AE layer size. If you can post your file I could look, but we are in crunch time getting mocha Pro finished.
-R

I watched your clip. Sorry to hear the frustration.
I would track the buildings that are on the upper left of screen and only track with transform, scale, rotation on. If you tracked various areas as explained on your video, it might be causing the problem as the pixels in foreground are on a different plane the building in back. You want to track something on a relative plane to the insert you are using.
Next show your surface and see how locked it is. If you did use the adjust track, it could be possible that some keyframes were placed by accident.
Did you try re-tracking? Do you see the issue within mocha or only AE?
If the tracdk is close but still minimal jitter, you may be able to fudge it in AE by using the smoother on the keyframes.
Best of luck,
Ross
—Quote (Originally by SMdeming)—
I’ve spent about three hours on this shot and I cannot figure out why this is so difficult! Here, I made a video to show you my question rather than attempt to explain it…

Now, I’ve tried aligning the track to the surface, I’ve tried adjusting the track, but for some reason the buildings seem to grow. This is not parallax. I’ve removed the scaling in the null object, and I’ve triple confirmed that the buildings have no animation in or on the comp.
I’ve watched Andrews ‘set extension’ tutorial a billion times before this doing similar work and I’ve never had this issue. As you can see here, I did the panning up shot, and it worked just fine. Easy! And the kicker is that I’ve done ton of stuff like this before. It’s this one shot that’s giving me a hard time…
—End Quote—

I watched your clip. Sorry to hear the frustration.
I would track the buildings that are on the upper left of screen and only track with transform, scale, rotation on. If you tracked various areas as explained on your video, it might be causing the problem as the pixels in foreground are on a different plane the building in back. You want to track something on a relative plane to the insert you are using.

Next show your surface and see how locked it is. If you did use the adjust track, it could be possible that some keyframes were placed by accident.

Did you try re-tracking? Do you see the issue within mocha or only AE?
If the tracdk is close but still minimal jitter, you may be able to fudge it in AE by using the smoother on the keyframes.

Best of luck,
Ross

—End Quote—

Are you scaling the null or simply just moving it to offset in x/y? It sounds that you tracked a plane that was further from the camera (the buildings) than where you want to position the city insert and it is amplifying small drift?

I think the thing to do would be position your surface and us the adjust track in mocha to get it looking better.

Just to mention… mocha Pro has a 3D offset that allows you to offset track in depth. This can be useful for tracking and replacing horizons, etc. Coming soon…

Best,
R

Ross,
Thanks for the response! I tried it (tracking the buildings in the upper left of the frame, but no dice. Same Phenomenon. Now, the null looks great in AE and the track looks very good. AND if I position the buildings right behind the area I tracked, it looks acceptable. I’m thinking the issue is comes from tracking an area (upper left buildings) and then placing the fake skyline in a different area of the frame. I’m trying to figure out how to tell Mocha to translate that date to work well for where I’d like to position the sky line. Does that make sense?
—End Quote—

Are you scaling the null or simply just moving it to offset in x/y? It sounds that you tracked a plane that was further from the camera (the buildings) than where you want to position the city insert and it is amplifying small drift?
I think the thing to do would be position your surface and us the adjust track in mocha to get it looking better.
Just to mention… mocha Pro has a 3D offset that allows you to offset track in depth. This can be useful for tracking and replacing horizons, etc. Coming soon…
Best,
R
Ross,
Thanks for the response! I tried it (tracking the buildings in the upper left of the frame, but no dice. Same Phenomenon. Now, the null looks great in AE and the track looks very good. AND if I position the buildings right behind the area I tracked, it looks acceptable. I’m thinking the issue is comes from tracking an area (upper left buildings) and then placing the fake skyline in a different area of the frame. I’m trying to figure out how to tell Mocha to translate that date to work well for where I’d like to position the sky line. Does that make sense?
—End Quote—

if the track looks good in mocha and off in AE, it is usually frame rate, pixel aspect or the AE layer size. If you can post your file I could look, but we are in crunch time getting mocha Pro finished.

-R

Ross,

Ross,

I’ve tried doing this, but I’m still getting this crazy drift phenomenon. Even I track it backwards using the ‘Add X-Spline to Layer’ tool and I’ve had similar (bad) results. For instance, lets say the area I track is the front of that small white peaked building. I get the same problem of ‘drift’ when that’s all I track. The track in Mocha is rock solid, but the AE result drifts.

I’ve tried doing this, but I’m still getting this crazy drift phenomenon. Even I track it backwards using the ‘Add X-Spline to Layer’ tool and I’ve had similar (bad) results. For instance, lets say the area I track is the front of that small white peaked building. I get the same problem of ‘drift’ when that’s all I track. The track in Mocha is rock solid, but the AE result drifts.

Ross, that’s very generous of you, but I’ve quadruple checked my settings, all is well there. I use Mocha for AE almost every week, and I’ve never had this type of issue before. I think I just need more time with it.

I’ll post my progress with another video soon.

Ross, that’s very generous of you, but I’ve quadruple checked my settings, all is well there. I use Mocha for AE almost every week, and I’ve never had this type of issue before. I think I just need more time with it.
I’ll post my progress with another video soon.