Thumbnails not showing up in FX Editor

Hi! When I add an effect, say, Looks, and click on the effects editor, I see all of the BORIS icons and adjustments but my video is not there - every frame on the screen, and in the view screen is black. I thouht maybe it was a loading issue, but I waited ten minutes and nothing showed up.

Hi, I moved this to the Continuum Forum where someone like @PeterMcAuley can help you. :slight_smile:

Thanks Mary! And thank you SO MUCH for all of your amazing support and your generosity with your time! I was able to finally finish the video early Saturday morning and now just awaiting the producer’s notes! But there would have been ZERO chance of it finishing as strongly as it did without your help! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi!

Well let’s start with your system specs, the version of Continuum you’re using and the host you’re using - could you send that along please?

Thanks,
Peter.

1 Like

So I just downloaded my very first download from Boris two weeks ago. I’m using a 2019 MacBook Pro (2.4 GHz Intel Core i9 with a Radeon Pro Vega 20 4 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB). I’m an Adobe guy who mostly knows Premiere Pro. I’m on version 14.5

Cool … all sounds good. So can you please tell me which filter you were using? And if I understand correctly your workflow, you applied the filter directly to a clip in Premiere Pro, then you clicked on the FX Browser button and you are seeing black thumbnails and a black render in the FX Editor preview window. Is that a fair statement?

Hey sorry - have been away from my computer. I’ll go in shortly and send you a list of where I’m seeeing issues. I can also take screen shots if that would help. Definitly the biggest bummer was not being able to use Looks.

Yes, please send details on how the project was set up and the effects used. Screenshots would be great. A simple project file (without media or with generator media) is also great if it shows the problem. In general, the more info we can get about your problem, the easier it will be for us to come up with solutions.

Awesome. I actually would love to show you a clip of the video with the issues as well. Not sure if I can attach that here?

You could try attaching a small video or just send a link to a video on Google Drive or other similar cloud storage.

Hey - I went back in to recreate some of the issues I had been experiencing, and I’m finding more. One of the biggest problems for me was that when I wanted to use a look - specifically romantic - found in your BCC + Look area, my image would ghost; stutter, and in the final renders, freeze altogether. Here is a still of the ghosting; and a screengrab of me recreating. FYI, you’ll notice right at the start it appears to be coming into the scene from a dissolve, but it was from a hard cut. Also, I screen captured what I see when I was trying to use FX Browser for a variety of plugins (i think you technically call the suite plug-ins, right). Here’s an example when trying to view dust and scratches…

Hi,

So we’re discussing two issues here : (1) the black thumbs in the fx browser for the dust and scratches filter and (2) the ghosting/stuttering in the render with the bcc+ looks filter.

(1) I can see in the screenshot that the preview window is set to 0% zoom, which is quite odd. You can see that in the top left corner of the preview window. What’s odd about that is that there are no direct user controls for the preview window zoom other than shrinking the size of the preview window. Have you applied the filter directly to a video source? If so, what are the dimensions of the video clip? Could you perhaps share a screenshot of the premiere pro timeline - just a zoomed portion where we can see how the filter has been applied to the video source in the sequence. Also, perhaps you could create a new project in Premiere Pro, then pull in a different clip and create a new sequence that fits the clip, then without trimming or altering the media element, apply the filter to that clip and check the fx browser to see if that works.

(2) I can’t explain the ghosting but one thing to try is clearing out the Premiere Pro cache and re-rendering to see if that eliminates what appear to be stale frames in the Premiere timeline.

So - to issue 1 - no, I didn’t apply the filter to recreate the error - I just was giving you an example of what half of the FX browsers in general show up as - with black thumbnails. As I stated, I am extremely new to BORISFX and haven’t touched a single control in any of the control panels. The efffects I have been successful able to use have mostly been in the keying area and the stuff I can do with MOCHA. As for the ghosting, I have cleared Premiere’s cache. I do that often. It’s not just ghosting, when I use any effect in LOOKS the video freezes all together (I can still hear the soundtrack playing properly under the footage.

Hi Peter. Still hoping to get all of this resolved!

Hi,

Thanks for your patience.

I’ve put some thought into this and even tested it myself on my systems and I’m currently at a loss as to what could be the root of the problem - I cannot reproduce it. I’m going to have to ask you to work with the support group to see if they can resolve the issue for you. It could be something as simple as a graphics driver that might need to be updated.

This will require an action on your end - you’ll need to file a ticket / case with our support group. Once that happens, you will be contacted by one of our support techs who will have to work with you to understand the exact cause of the problem.

You can do that here : Boris FX | Open a Case

Thanks,
Peter.

Thanks Peter. I’ll do that now. :slight_smile: