Tips on getting a non-jittery track?

Hi all -

I’m still learning the product, so I was wondering if there are any tips, tricks or tutorials on avoiding getting jittery tracks?

I’ve tried with a few different pieces of footage and every single track I’ve tried comes in to AE shaking and jittering like mad. In Mocha, I attach the Mocha logo to my track and it looks great - in AE, I attach the tracking data to a null, reset the anchor point and it looks like the null has had 50 cups of coffee.

I’m sure this must be user error somehow - just looking for a push in the right direction.

Thanks

Paul

Hi Nik,

We’re investigating problems loading the europe_map.mp4 file into the latest version of mocha. It’s loading black, and I suspect there is some kind of corruption or inconsistency in the file. Although QuickTime Player can load it, if you try to save it with no changes, it fails with an error “The movie contains an incorrect time value”.

Where did the file come from?

Thanks,

J-P

Hi Nik,
We’re investigating problems loading the europe_map.mp4 file into the latest version of mocha. It’s loading black, and I suspect there is some kind of corruption or inconsistency in the file. Although QuickTime Player can load it, if you try to save it with no changes, it fails with an error “The movie contains an incorrect time value”.
Where did the file come from?
Thanks,
J-P

I’m having similar issues. I’ve started with .mts files and converted them to the h.264 codec using Premiere Pro CS4. There is an output called YouTube Widescreen HD, which is what I have been using. This outputs reduces the size from 1920x1080 to 1280x720, so I’m assuming this does not cause an issue with Mocha since Mocha only ask for HD settings and nothing specific between 1080p and 720p? I’ve checked all the other settings in Mocha and AE and cannot find a difference.

Other than that, I’ve watched all of the tutorials available for planer tracking and adjust track, along with the link posted earlier in this thread, but I haven’t improved the results that much.

Are there any ways to test our footage to verify actual framerate? What are you using to do this?

I’m having similar issues. I’ve started with .mts files and converted them to the h.264 codec using Premiere Pro CS4. There is an output called YouTube Widescreen HD, which is what I have been using. This outputs reduces the size from 1920x1080 to 1280x720, so I’m assuming this does not cause an issue with Mocha since Mocha only ask for HD settings and nothing specific between 1080p and 720p? I’ve checked all the other settings in Mocha and AE and cannot find a difference.
Other than that, I’ve watched all of the tutorials available for planer tracking and adjust track, along with the link posted earlier in this thread, but I haven’t improved the results that much.
Are there any ways to test our footage to verify actual framerate? What are you using to do this?

—Quote (Originally by jeff m)—
I’m having similar issues. I’ve started with .mts files and converted them to the h.264 codec using Premiere Pro CS4. There is an output called YouTube Widescreen HD, which is what I have been using. This output reduces the size from 1920x1080 to 1280x720, so I’m assuming this does not cause an issue with Mocha since Mocha only ask for HD settings and nothing specific between 1080p and 720p? I’ve checked all the other settings in Mocha and AE and cannot find a difference.
—End Quote—
Here is the video I shot that I’m working with. I’m just using it as a test to learn Mocha for After Effects v1.2.3:

I’ve also just cut the video to use the 9-14 second mark since it is far less jittery, but I still have trouble with the shot. I’d also like to add some stuff to the large semi when it comes by. I’ll post some of my test results later.

—Quote (Originally by jeff m)—
I’m having similar issues. I’ve started with .mts files and converted them to the h.264 codec using Premiere Pro CS4. There is an output called YouTube Widescreen HD, which is what I have been using. This output reduces the size from 1920x1080 to 1280x720, so I’m assuming this does not cause an issue with Mocha since Mocha only ask for HD settings and nothing specific between 1080p and 720p? I’ve checked all the other settings in Mocha and AE and cannot find a difference.

—End Quote—
Here is the video I shot that I’m working with. I’m just using it as a test to learn Mocha for After Effects v1.2.3:

I’ve also just cut the video to use the 9-14 second mark since it is far less jittery, but I still have trouble with the shot. I’d also like to add some stuff to the large semi when it comes by. I’ll post some of my test results later.

And here is a test with Mocha used on the airport sign:

This is very rough and I’m just learning the ins-and-outs of Mocha. I just threw in some default text animations from AE to see what this would look like, so yes, I understand it doesn’t look that great at this point. Right now, I’m just trying to nail down the tracking and stabilization aspect.

Some issues that I have with my video that I’m hoping some of you can provide advice on:

• When the large semi truck goes by, it throws off my motion tracking, even though I have other elements tracked in the scene, including the semi, and even if I go through frame by frame. Is there a good way to deal with this?
  • I’d like to add some advertisements to the large semi that passes throught he sign. What’s the best way to do this using the current mocha file? Do I just add another track layer?
  • For the skyline, the added AE layers of the buildings are still shakey. Is this because I was tracking the sign and not the horizon? How would I correct for this?

And here is a test with Mocha used on the airport sign:

This is very rough and I’m just learning the ins-and-outs of Mocha. I just threw in some default text animations from AE to see what this would look like, so yes, I understand it doesn’t look that great at this point. Right now, I’m just trying to nail down the tracking and stabilization aspect.
Some issues that I have with my video that I’m hoping some of you can provide advice on:

• When the large semi truck goes by, it throws off my motion tracking, even though I have other elements tracked in the scene, including the semi, and even if I go through frame by frame. Is there a good way to deal with this?
  • I’d like to add some advertisements to the large semi that passes throught he sign. What’s the best way to do this using the current mocha file? Do I just add another track layer?
  • For the skyline, the added AE layers of the buildings are still shakey. Is this because I was tracking the sign and not the horizon? How would I correct for this?

Here is an update with the semi roto’d and masked back in - my first roto and moch track clip! There was some extreme camera movement, but overall MochaAE did pretty good, except when the truck covers the entire sign. Even using some reference points, it is still a bit jittery, but that’s probably more due to my inexperience in Mocha. And I picked a tough clip to work on for my first test. I think this is as far as I’m going on this clip since it was just an exercise for me to learn.

Here is an update with the semi roto’d and masked back in - my first roto and moch track clip! There was some extreme camera movement, but overall MochaAE did pretty good, except when the truck covers the entire sign. Even using some reference points, it is still a bit jittery, but that’s probably more due to my inexperience in Mocha. And I picked a tough clip to work on for my first test. I think this is as far as I’m going on this clip since it was just an exercise for me to learn.

—Quote (Originally by martinb)—
The main problem with getting the solid track here is that the truck completely obscures the sign for a few frames. A manual track or adjust track may need to be applied for the obscured frames.

In general you need to keep your min % pixels higher and your shapes large and around the edges of the sign, rather than inside. This helps most tracks.
—End Quote—
What do you mean by min % pixels? I will probably try this track shot again just for practice.

—Quote (Originally by martinb)—
The main problem with getting the solid track here is that the truck completely obscures the sign for a few frames. A manual track or adjust track may need to be applied for the obscured frames.
In general you need to keep your min % pixels higher and your shapes large and around the edges of the sign, rather than inside. This helps most tracks.
—End Quote—
What do you mean by min % pixels? I will probably try this track shot again just for practice.

—Quote (Originally by paulrus)—
I managed to partially fix it. I converted the footage from h.264 to an MOV with the Animation codec. For some reason that made the tracks much less jittery - I still get 1 or 2 points on my shape moving all over the place, but it’s much better.

Paul
—End Quote—
Hi Paul,

The h.264 codec can be a problem as the compression can incorrectly represent the amount of frames in the footage. For example, a 43-frame h.264 file we tested turned up as 41, 42 and 43 frames in separate applications.

Please email me the original footage and the project file and I will investigate: martinb[at] imagineersystems{dot}com.

—Quote (Originally by paulrus)—
I managed to partially fix it. I converted the footage from h.264 to an MOV with the Animation codec. For some reason that made the tracks much less jittery - I still get 1 or 2 points on my shape moving all over the place, but it’s much better.
Paul
—End Quote—
Hi Paul,
The h.264 codec can be a problem as the compression can incorrectly represent the amount of frames in the footage. For example, a 43-frame h.264 file we tested turned up as 41, 42 and 43 frames in separate applications.
Please email me the original footage and the project file and I will investigate: martinb[at] imagineersystems{dot}com.

Can someone attach an example export please?

Can someone attach an example export please?

Thanks Nik, I can see the issue you are talking about but I need to see the actual output data, ie. tracking export and/or shape export.

Thanks Nik, I can see the issue you are talking about but I need to see the actual output data, ie. tracking export and/or shape export.