Tired about this erratic crude process

Hi,

Maybe I am a piece of shit, despite (because of) my numerous years of experience, maybe Mocha AE is totally inefficient with some image (too clear, too white, etc…)… What is sure : I have lost several hours today of my work, to track a very simple green screen of a shutterstock footage whithout any success…

The image is not stabilized, flickering a little, and I want to keep this (of course, with a static image, no problem, but no tracking needed lol)…

I have followed different steps, all the time, Mocha totally fails to track correctly the green screen… It’ not enough precise for me, … My customer seems not to see the problem, but I am perfectionist, and I am totally not satisfied of the result…

Here the video :

I use only the free version incorporated in After Effects 2020.

If you have tips, advices, or anything to say lol, don’t hesitate.

Thx for your support :sweat_smile: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

If you would like to post a link to the source video we can download it and give it a shot for you.

Cheers,
Peter.

Your link does not work.

David Baertsch

Creative Director/Editor

db Editorial

edited, the youtube link seems to work

In your video, you are not showing the SURFACE tool. After tracking, enable the surface tool and position it on your screen to see how accurate the planar track was. The layer shape is the search area and the surface is the track data.

The shape (search area) and track options are essential to understanding how Mocha works. It appears that you have only transform tracking enabled, but you will probably get a better track with perspective enabled when tracking screens.

Lastly, pure white or green does not have good data to track. Mocha wants to see pixel patterns. Another way to get good tracks on screens is to make smaller shapes that only focus on the corners and track areas, reducing the larger portions of the screen. For example:

I hope this helps. In my experience, once most users invest the time to fully learn how Mocha works, they find it an indispensable tool. You might also want to view these tutorials: https://borisfx.com/videos/?tags=category:Mocha%20Fundamentals,product:Mocha&search=

1 Like

thanks a lot,

here is the link of the comp (the best result I have obtained) : https://www.swisstransfer.com/d/290857d4-a476-4f40-8a33-2c7b3677adfb

Seeing again it, not so bad… But For x reasons, it’s a lowdef comp, and there is remapping on the precomp, … I have tested to export the remap video then to work on it today, and it’s worse, because, one frame out of 2 is the same (problem of remapp)…

Thx a lot Rosss,

In the AE source I put below, I haven’t use it, but in the video export, I have used the X-spline Layer tool, and the planar surface, in red in the video it’s the planar surface… I have tried activating anything (translation, scale, rotation, shear and perspective) and I haven’t seen big difference…

I was hoping naively than with this kind of sequence, Mocca would do the job easily :sweat_smile:

Hi Jerem,

Thanks for passing along the clip and project - I was able to track it using Mocha and have attached a Mocha project file for you to check out. The key to a successful track with this shot is to track the outer edges of the iPad itself - the tracking markers are not helpful because in the video the green screen with tracking markers is pushed away and so all of the pixels move off screen. I traced the outer edge of the iPad and it tracked through cleanly.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Peter.

track ipad.mocha (405 KB)

2 Likes

I don’ think it was a naive assumption. Mocha accells at tracking screens compared to any other solution.
Check out Peter’s file. When a track fails, the best thing to do is simply edit your shape, and re-track different area (sometimes larger area, sometimes smaller and more precise)

1 Like

To echo what @rosss said but from a user perspective, it often seems like Mocha performs magic but that’s not literally true. Sometimes you just have to get your hands dirty. Even so, it’s soooo much less work than keyframing every single frame.

Thanks guys for all your message ! Thanks a lot Peter for the file, I’ll check tomorrow… :wink:

To speak more about the context, What motivate first this topic is a kind of frustration. I saw a video of a guy doing an amazing perfect tracking more complex than mine, and it seemed easy but maybe he had spent several days to obtain this result…

Anyway, a project, to deliver asap as usual, I have to do this quickly, and after 1 or 2 hours… I do a thing that the customer seems to like but not me… So, even if, the interface of Mocha has been improved, I notice I have to learn a lot more to master this, even if it should be easy to put something in a green screen of a moving smartphone/tablet but it’s not so…

The quick solution would be also to stabilize the guy with the iPad or to use a freezed frame with a little wiggle and/or Zoom out with the footage in the iPad : and then no more tracking… but I want to learn and improve my skill, so not totally satisfied by this choice…

I think also I mess around… The corner spin, the remapp, the low def of the comp, etc… I’ll check the links …

:slightly_smiling_face:

It’s delivered ! The file, Peter is perfection. :sunglasses:

:+1::heart:

Tip: You might like to use a black screen instead of green/markers when doing a screen replacement. This is because then you can blend the screen reflections into the replacement for a more realistic composite. Mocha can still get a solid track using only the edges of the phone. If you’re scared, do two takes, one with green/trackers, and another with a back screen :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep, and as an alternate approach to that suggestion, you can use Primatte Studio to remove the greenscreen while leaving the surface screen reflections. Either way it will generate a more photorealistic composite if you include the screen reflections.

Cheers,
Peter.