Title Studio containers

HI

How many 3D containers can be used at a time in a Title Studio title(and title containers for that matter)? i keep crashing TS trying to use 2 3D containers trying to get my title the way i want it.

is there a limit for both types of containers?

Theoretically, there should be no limit to the number of containers that can be nested. That said, the more you nest containers, especially when using the 3D renderer, the more you should expect that performance will degrade.

Is there an effect in particular that you’re trying to achieve with nesting multiple containers? I’m wondering if there might be a more efficient approach.

@PeterMcAuley

i am still trying to get that helicopter title going, but i added a Heli pad, so i need to separate them into two containers, didn’t need the landing pad taking off too. it keeps crashing when i try to do this, so i was wondering if there was a limit. using the standalone, i didn’t think i was pushing my system that much to have any real performance issues or problems/

when creating a new container and importing a 3d item, where is the pivot point default placement within the container? the pivot point for the blades is off access and i am having trouble with getting the blade spinning without wobbling thou. still new at all this, so i haven’t gotten a handle on that part either.

oh, BTW
does Title Studio is the GPU, and shared video mem, i am wondering like with all Boris FX software, i know it uses the GPU but do they also use shared video memory? i noticed i have 8 gig shared along with the 4gig of VRam on the video card. so i was wondering if it is used or should i go into the Bios and disable it and free the 8 gig up.

Depending on the complexity of the 3D model that you’re working with, you may find that TS performance will indeed be affected, just as one might expect when working in any application.

The pivot / anchor point for any element in TS can be set to any xy position by unlocking it.

And TS is 100% OpenGL and therefore 100% reliant on having enough available memory on the video card to complete it’s operations.

@PeterMcAuley

HI again

“Depending on the complexity of the 3D model that you’re working with, you may find that TS performance will indeed be affected, just as one might expect when working in any application.”
yes that’s given with computers and apps.

“The pivot / anchor point for any element in TS can be set to any xy position by unlocking it.”
yes i know, but, is there a default starting position within that container to start with, does it have a default x,y,z like 0,0,0?

“TS is 100% OpenGL and therefore 100% reliant on having enough available memory on the video card to complete it’s operations”
yes, that’s a given as well.

but i am talking about the computer’s shared video memory and not the video card’s onboard video memory, yes the more Vram the better. which is my point. My lowly Vcard has only 4gig on it, but my computer has set aside 12 gig of shared video memory as well. from the onboard video along with its own GPU but it shares the system 32gig of Ram.

so, i am wondering, is that shared Video ram used by the BorisFX software at all, (which would give me 20gig Vram if it did) or is it not used and should be disable. that way my system is back using 100% of it system memory? instead of my computer holding back 12gig out of my 32gig. for that matter is the onboard video 's GPU used at all as well to help speed things up or again best to be totally disable the onboard video(if possible) ?

going on more is better idea, does BorisFX software support multiple Vcards and GPUs?

Thanks for your time Peter

Alpine
February 27

@PeterMcAuley

HI again

Good morning!

“Depending on the complexity of the 3D model that you’re working with, you may find that TS performance will indeed be affected, just as one might expect when working in any application.”
yes that’s given with computers and apps.

“The pivot / anchor point for any element in TS can be set to any xy position by unlocking it.”
yes i know, but, is there a default starting position within that container to start with, does it have a default x,y,z like 0,0,0?

So when a 3D Model is first imported into TS, it’s center point for rotation is at the center of the project comp - if for instance the project was 1000h x 1000v pixels then the center would be 500h 500v. When an imported model is converted into separate containers, the center point for rotation is offset and positioned between the center point of the comp and the lower left point of the comp, which in this example is 700v x 300h. This is the case regardless of the position of the individual elements that make up that 3D model so all elements from a model would unlock to this same position.

“TS is 100% OpenGL and therefore 100% reliant on having enough available memory on the video card to complete it’s operations”
yes, that’s a given as well.

but i am talking about the computer’s shared video memory and not the video card’s onboard video memory, yes the more Vram the better. which is my point. My lowly Vcard has only 4gig on it, but my computer has set aside 12 gig of shared video memory as well. from the onboard video along with its own GPU but it shares the system 32gig of Ram.

so, i am wondering, is that shared Video ram used by the BorisFX software at all, (which would give me 20gig Vram if it did) or is it not used and should be disable. that way my system is back using 100% of it system memory? instead of my computer holding back 12gig out of my 32gig. for that matter is the onboard video 's GPU used at all as well to help speed things up or again best to be totally disable the onboard video(if possible) ?

I’m not 100% clear on that but I’ll find out.

going on more is better idea, does BorisFX software support multiple Vcards and GPUs?

TS will only use a single GPU in its current implementation. We’ve actually been doing some testing with multiple GPU’s and multiple video cards to chart performance and we’ll publish our findings once these tests have completed.

Thanks for your time Peter

You’re most welcome - I’m happy to help in any way that I can.

@PeterMcAuley

"container position " ok then it has be something with the model i am importing. because when i try to do the heli copter blade, the pivot point is no where near center. but checking the other pieces, their pivot points are in the center of the object. still off center do to the container pivot point being different the my objects pivot point(or center of mass).

since i don’t see this option,(or havent spotted it yet) i am guessing there is no way to just select the blade(or any object) and tell TS to set the pivot point to the center of the object, saving time?

shared mem, ok cool, let me know, it would be usefully if it did. but it not, if i can, i got to disable it then

if we can use more then one Video card and GPU that would be awesome! it would sure speed things up.

you say TS only uses one GPU, umm curiosity, what about the other Borisfx software packages, can any of them use multiple video cards and GPUs, mocha,continuum, Silhouette, etc?

Again Thanks for your time Peter