Title studio textures(images) for 3D Text

Hey,

how can i add a texture(image) in a 3D letter of 3D text in BCC Title Studio?
Tried to click on import file in the Text menu but always comes: ‘The file could not be read because it’s format is unknown’
I tried many different formats.
Which format is necessary?
I can add a picture by clicking on ‘Image File…’ on the colorful icon in the timeline menu.
A picture is added then in front of the Letters.
I want the picture to be wrapped exactly around the letters.
How can this be done?
Tried it it cinema 4D but it was wrapped in an distorted fashion around the letters
Someone said i need the right spatial arrangements of my textures so that it works.
Can someone shed light on this topic?
Is a projection (mirror effect on the letters) an alternative?
Rendertime is much longer, i heard.
But no problem i can wait for this.
How could this be done?
Can’t find borisfx tutorials on this.

Hello! Thank you for the question. To add a texture to 3D Text in title studio what you want to do is change the material texture. To do this make sure that the Show/Hide Material Tracks button is enabled in the timeline.

1. Select the Front Material - Color Track and open the twirl down arrow.
    This will display a Color Track.

2. Select the Color Track and go to the Controls Tab.

3. When the Color Track is selected you will have access to the Material Attributes.

4. Select TEXTURE from the Type drop down menu.

5. By default, the color track will change to a texture track that pulls from the V1 (video) layer.

6. Click on the V1 icon to Change the Track Media.

7. Select an image you would like to use.

8. The texture on the front of the 3D object will update to use that Image

This change will affect the entire text, so if you would like to only change the texture on a single letter, I would recomend creating a Title Container, or a seperate track for the individual letter.

I hope this helps!

Best,
Vin

Thanks for your fast answer.
At the moment i use title studio in after effects.
The program uses the layer on which i apply title studio for the texture.
I resized the picture(layer) via mouse before appyling title studio.
But it seems that title studio is using the old dimensions from the picture and not the in program resized picture size.
Also sometimes when i applytitle studio on the layer, the letters become bigger or lower (with same pixel-letter-size used) then other times.
When i make the composite window bigger or smaller in Title studio, the texture on the letter
changes also (see attached pictures)
How can i make the right dimensions first?
Where can i find the new dimensions of the picture listed (after resizing via mouse in after effects next to a letter to see how big it should be.
Then i could change in photoshop first,
resize%201|690x387

but why does the texture change when i resize the composite window.
How can i adequately choose/crop to the right dimensions?
On another forum i heard this:
“”“In After Effects projecting an image on extruded text is fairly straightforward if you use the C4D or Ray-traced rendering engine, but be warned that it is going to take an incredibly long time to render. The technique is to put an image in front of a spotlight, set light transmission to 100% and throw the image on the extruded layer in the same way you would cast a shadow. It’s called projection. “””
Do you know how to do this if the other method don’t works?

Hello. Would you be able to send me your AE/Title Studio project file? I’d love to take a look at it and see if I can determine what’s happeneing. I’m unable to reproduce the texture issues you’re seeing when you resize your window.

That said, in regards to your layer resizing question: Title studio pulls the project dimensions from the original layer that it is placed on. So for example if you apply Title Studio to a 1920 x 1080 solid, when you launch the Title Studio UI your project will be 1920 x 1080.

If you create an 800 x 800 solid, Title Studio will create an 800 x 800 project.

At the current time, Title Studio does not reflect adjustments made to the layer it is placed on. So if you create an 800 x 800 solid and then resize it in After Effects to 1920 x 1080, Title Studio will generate an 800 x 800 project. The reason for this is because to resize the layer, AE is deforming it’s shape, and Title Studio is reading the Original dimensions of the layer.

This can be seen when you resize a layer in AE after you have applied Title Studio: the text becomes deformed, the same way regular AE text is deformed when it’s dimensions are resized.

I would like to look at your project files if I could to offer more specific explanations for what you are seeing, but in general when you have the texture track selected in Title Studio, the Controls Tab will provide additional tabs for adjusting the texture parameters:

Texture Modifier allows you to stretch, shift and rotate the texture mapping, while the Crop texture and Output allow you to crop the layered texture either pre or post application.

I hope this clarifies some of your questions, and if you’re able to, please send me your project files so I can look into the issues further.

Best,
Vin

Thanks again for your answer

Yes i know and played with these already a bit around, but need to gain some skills using the titlestudio crop/modifier tool.
Will see if i can have some results with it^^
Regarding the window resizing. Thanks for your offer to sent you the AE file.
I made a very simple one^^:
forumfile.aep (1.8 MB)

I made a quick video of how it shows up when resizing the window (it’s 20 seconds long, but 937 MB large, recording was able in .avi in the program i used)
https://ufile.io/29zki

Good morning. Thank you for sending the project file and the video clip. That does look very strange.

I tried reproducing this with your project file but was unable to get it to distort the texture the way it does in the video. Could you by chance send the “Sweet Cat Kitten” image file? My first thought is that it may have to do with the specific image file. Perhaps there is something about the image dimensions that is causing the issue.

I tried it with many different pictures and file sizes.
I try to install the programs new on another partition of my hard drive. (because my computer stops with premiere pro projects and is very slow)
I know how to enable CUDA rendering in premiere pro.
Is this also a option in After Effects?

hello,

have you found a solution?
i have new computer now and changing size of composite window makes the same
nother question:
can you say me, when i use lower thirds on a picture, dragging title studio on it,
how can i make the picture visible again in the background
because title studio sets a black background on the picture
inserting the media image via add new media in title stufio, puts it anywhere on the screen but to scale it inside of title studio
is too complicated and time consuming and also the fullscreen is not visible
where can i find a screen blend option or something like that?
i use premiere at current project.
nother: Is there an option in bcc or saph. which changes the dimensions of pictures to the set resolution in the sequence (filling the black space) without having to change X and Y scale of the image manually?

Hello,

Unfortunately I’ve been unable to reproduce the issue on any of our systems. I’ve attached a project that I created from scratch and was wondering if you’d be able to look at it and see if you are still having the same issue.

Could you send me your exact system and host specifications.

So there are a couple of ways to make the background video appear. The first thing I recommend doing is doubling up your video clip in AE/Premiere. That is duplicate the clip so that you have a copy on the V1 and V2 track. The reason for this is when you apply Title Studio to the top clip, it will wipe out the video. If there’s nothing under the clip, then it will render black in AE/Premiere. If you have a copy of the clip in the V1 track, then it will show the video and Title Studio.

If you’ve applied Title Studio directly to a video clip, you can always view that video in the title Studio UI, but selecting “Composite Over Background” from the Preview Window button located at the top of the composite window. This should make it easier to make the necessary adjustments.

Alternatively, if you are in AE/Premiere, you can use the “Use Transformations” checkbox from the Title Studio effects panel. This will allow you to move and scale the lower third directly from AE, without having to enter the Title Studio UI.

As for your question about changing the picture dimensions, you can use BCC Uprez to adjust the Clip dimensions if you like.

You can also make the adjustments to the scale as you have been doing, but before you apply Title Studio, precompose your clip (in AE) or create a nested clip (in Premiere).

I hope this helps!
-V

Sample Project.zip (1.2 MB)

Thanks for answer.
i checked out your file.
its still moving in the extruded part when resizing window
i had laptop with that:
I got Intel core i5 3230M CPU @ 2.6 GHZ
8GB RAM
680gb hdd
Nvidida Geforce GT 740M.
But my computer went off because not good enough for complex premiere and boris effects^^
now i have new system :smiley:
with a great mainboard asus x399a, so that i can update the system in the future up to 128 gb ram. etc.
got a asus rog strix geforce gtx 1080 ti,
amd threadripper 1900
32 gb ram, corsair hyperx 3000mhz
250 gb nvme ssd
3gb external sata
:smiley:
i use newest version of premiere pro and after effects with windows 10
i must say im a newbie when it comes to editing
but working with boris fx is a true pleasure
regarding the uprez:
i mostly use images in my projects.
just thought about saving time when it gets resized automatically.
is it even faster when i make a slug again and again for every image that i want to resize ((is it for images and clips?(uprez))?
because i have images in many different sizes and timeframes for my projects. when i make a huge slug the slug couldn’t resize more then one image.
So it would take same if not even more time when i would make it with uprez?
maybe faster when i use same amount seconds for every image.
But the quality might be better when resizing with uprez?
when using magic sharp in the uprez method window.
adding another magic sharp filter (i use it always as presaved option)
is not necessary anymore? =has exact same effect?
because i use 75 in shadows in magic sharp usually.
should i throw any additional effects now on black slug or at video2 file?
how can i change the default magic sharp preferences and not only in the presaved folder?
or what magic sharp preferences does uprez use?
is it just the same name like magic sharp?
maybe using standard uprez (fast) and then after it magic sharp?
or should i adjust magic sharp a bit?
what is your suggestion?
Okay this would be my last questions now, dont want to waste your time :smiley:
have a nice day and keep up the good work!