Total n00b here with Mocha

I upgraded to CS4 a while ago, but I have no used Mocha as of yet. I am unfamiliar with all of its functions. I was trying to find precisely what it can be used for without purchasing the upgrades. Not that I wouldn’t purchase them, I just need to know if I need them right now.
For example, let’s say I want to track motion so that I can have an effect follow that point, like a Lens Flare or maybe even just add a plain Shape layer to follow that point. Can Mocha Do that?
What is new about the rotoscoping plug in? Is this just for tracking masks? Please let me know.

Hi Strongbadia,
I’ve answered part of your question in your post in the mocha section, but I will try to answer these ones to cover as much information as possible:
The version of mocha that comes with After Effects CS4 is a slimmed-down version of the full version of mocha, tailored specifically for tracking data export to After Effects.
Mocha for After Effects CS4 can be used to track scene areas using a planar search, rather than just using points. The resulting track can be used to export transform data or corner pinning data to After Effects. Two very basic examples of this are using transform data to track a speech bubble to a man’s head, or using corner pin distortion data to track a replacment screen onto a mobile phone.
The example you give with the effect is very possible. You just need to track the item you wish to lock your effect to and export the transform data. In your example, I would paste the transform data to a separate null and then parent the the effect to the transform data to using a simple expression. If you would like further explanation on how to do this, let me know.
The rotoscoping plugin, *mocha shape for After Effects (http://www.imagineersystems.com/products/mocha_shape_for_After_Effects/) *only works with the paid Version 2 upgrade of mocha for After Effects and the full version of mocha. It means you can do your rotoscoping inside mocha using our tools assisted by the tracking data, then export shape data to After Effects. This pastes in as an effect so you can adjust various parameters. See the product page for more details: http://www.imagineersystems.com/products/mocha_shape_for_After_Effects/

Hi Strongbadia,

I’ve answered part of your question in your post in the mocha section, but I will try to answer these ones to cover as much information as possible:

The version of mocha that comes with After Effects CS4 is a slimmed-down version of the full version of mocha, tailored specifically for tracking data export to After Effects.

Mocha for After Effects CS4 can be used to track scene areas using a planar search, rather than just using points. The resulting track can be used to export transform data or corner pinning data to After Effects. Two very basic examples of this are using transform data to track a speech bubble to a man’s head, or using corner pin distortion data to track a replacment screen onto a mobile phone.

The example you give with the effect is very possible. You just need to track the item you wish to lock your effect to and export the transform data. In your example, I would paste the transform data to a separate null and then parent the the effect to the transform data to using a simple expression. If you would like further explanation on how to do this, let me know.

The rotoscoping plugin, *mocha shape for After Effects (http://www.imagineersystems.com/products/mocha_shape_for_After_Effects/) *only works with the paid Version 2 upgrade of mocha for After Effects and the full version of mocha. It means you can do your rotoscoping inside mocha using our tools assisted by the tracking data, then export shape data to After Effects. This pastes in as an effect so you can adjust various parameters. See the product page for more details: http://www.imagineersystems.com/products/mocha_shape_for_After_Effects/

I upgraded to CS4 a while ago, but I have no used Mocha as of yet. I am unfamiliar with all of its functions. I was trying to find precisely what it can be used for without purchasing the upgrades. Not that I wouldn’t purchase them, I just need to know if I need them right now.

For example, let’s say I want to track motion so that I can have an effect follow that point, like a Lens Flare or maybe even just add a plain Shape layer to follow that point. Can Mocha Do that?

What is new about the rotoscoping plug in? Is this just for tracking masks? Please let me know.

Martin,
Thanks for the information. Yeah, I understood that you need the full version to do the rotoscoping. I just wanted to make certain I understand mocha before I buy it. I will try out your suggestion and see if that fits my needs. If I have any issues, then I will ask.
One other question. I can only get .mov to work with Mocha. Is there a reason for this?

Martin,

Thanks for the information. Yeah, I understood that you need the full version to do the rotoscoping. I just wanted to make certain I understand mocha before I buy it. I will try out your suggestion and see if that fits my needs. If I have any issues, then I will ask.

One other question. I can only get .mov to work with Mocha. Is there a reason for this?