Tracking a Aerial shot

Hi all,
I wonder if it is possible to track and solve a helicopter shot with mocha AE? Is it build to do such kind of tracking?
I’m trying as hard as i can (tracking with a bunch of layers, adjusting,…)but can’t get anything out of it. Everytime I solve it says some layers can not be tracked/solved as static.
I have uploaded my footage on www.labrats.be/Labrats. I would be so happy if anyone could help me out here. It could be that Mocha can’t handle this kind of shots, but just to be sure :slight_smile:
Kind regards,
Jean

Hi Mary and Ross,
Thank you for your fast respons. I need to implement a 3D model of a stadion on the ground behind the water. My idea was to simply track the movement of the cam with some splines, and make some reference splines where the building has to be. Then export to AE and then to Cinema 4D to insert the model.
Mary, I dont understand quite well what your suggesting, could you enlighten me in this workflow? Sorry for my bad English, I’m from Belgium :slight_smile:
thanks a lot!
grtz
J

Hi Mary and Ross,

Thank you for your fast respons. I need to implement a 3D model of a stadion on the ground behind the water. My idea was to simply track the movement of the cam with some splines, and make some reference splines where the building has to be. Then export to AE and then to Cinema 4D to insert the model.

Mary, I dont understand quite well what your suggesting, could you enlighten me in this workflow? Sorry for my bad English, I’m from Belgium :slight_smile:

thanks a lot!

grtz
J

Hi all,

I wonder if it is possible to track and solve a helicopter shot with mocha AE? Is it build to do such kind of tracking?
I’m trying as hard as i can (tracking with a bunch of layers, adjusting,…)but can’t get anything out of it. Everytime I solve it says some layers can not be tracked/solved as static.

I have uploaded my footage on www.labrats.be/Labrats. I would be so happy if anyone could help me out here. It could be that Mocha can’t handle this kind of shots, but just to be sure :slight_smile:

Kind regards,
Jean

HI Mary,
Ok thanks, I get the spline/track relation. Sorry about that. I’m fairly new to mocha.
One last question, If you mean “get some building information as well as the ground plane…”, you mean putting the grid plane in perspective relation to the ground plane, buildings, etc…?
Grtz!
J

HI Mary,

Ok thanks, I get the spline/track relation. Sorry about that. I’m fairly new to mocha.
One last question, If you mean “get some building information as well as the ground plane…”, you mean putting the grid plane in perspective relation to the ground plane, buildings, etc…?

Grtz!
J

Hi Mary,

Just want to let you know that I did’nt get the solve for my shot. The planes were drifting to all sides, couldn’t get a good lock on. I doubt this lies on your software, i think I’m still doing something wrong. But because time is of the essence now, i have tracked it in syntheyes (wich I know better).

Thank you for all your help, I will experiment further with some other shots, hope to get some better control over it :slight_smile:

Thanks again!

Greetz
J

Hi Mary,
Just want to let you know that I did’nt get the solve for my shot. The planes were drifting to all sides, couldn’t get a good lock on. I doubt this lies on your software, i think I’m still doing something wrong. But because time is of the essence now, i have tracked it in syntheyes (wich I know better).
Thank you for all your help, I will experiment further with some other shots, hope to get some better control over it :slight_smile:
Thanks again!
Greetz
J

Hi there,
If you are tracking the ground for this shot you should have a pretty easy time of doing it. You will want to “unlink” your spline from your track in the “link to track” drop-down menu in layer properties and align your spline in optimal tracking areas. Let me know if you have any issues.
Cheers,
Mary

Hi there,

If you are tracking the ground for this shot you should have a pretty easy time of doing it. You will want to “unlink” your spline from your track in the “link to track” drop-down menu in layer properties and align your spline in optimal tracking areas. Let me know if you have any issues.

Cheers,
Mary

Hi there,
We have a breakdown of unlinking and tracking in general in our tracking basics section: http://www.imagineersystems.com/support/Documentation/tracking-basics
But basically the track is not related to the spline, its only where the track looks. So unlink the track from the spline to move the spine around on the ground plane for your track.
If you want to just use the planar data, thats easy. If you want to track a 3D camera solve for this shot, you’re going to need to grab some building information as well as the ground plane throughout the shot.
Cheers!
Mary

Hi there,

We have a breakdown of unlinking and tracking in general in our tracking basics section: http://www.imagineersystems.com/support/Documentation/tracking-basics

But basically the track is not related to the spline, its only where the track looks. So unlink the track from the spline to move the spine around on the ground plane for your track.

If you want to just use the planar data, thats easy. If you want to track a 3D camera solve for this shot, you’re going to need to grab some building information as well as the ground plane throughout the shot.

Cheers!
Mary

Hi There,
No, I mean get planar information that is not just ground plane information. On a shot like this you will need a large parallax solve for he 3d camera solver, if you want to use the planar data in 3D, meaning you need to have two non-co-planar planes to track, so the ground and something oriented at a different angle, which will be a slightly more difficult track. Watch some of our 3D camera solver tutorials for more of a breakdown.
http://www.imagineersystems.com/videos/mocha-v3-tutorial-using-the-camera-solver-to-track-difficult-footage/view
Cheers,
Mary

Hi There,

No, I mean get planar information that is not just ground plane information. On a shot like this you will need a large parallax solve for he 3d camera solver, if you want to use the planar data in 3D, meaning you need to have two non-co-planar planes to track, so the ground and something oriented at a different angle, which will be a slightly more difficult track. Watch some of our 3D camera solver tutorials for more of a breakdown.

http://www.imagineersystems.com/videos/mocha-v3-tutorial-using-the-camera-solver-to-track-difficult-footage/view

Cheers,
Mary

Hi There,
Glad you at least got a solve in something. Play with the tracker more when you’re not on a tight deadline and get the hang of it. I recommend turning the surface and grid on while you track so that you can see what the track is doing while you track.
Sorry for the delayed response, Siggraph was this week, I’ve been offline in the LA convention center.
Cheers!
Mary

Hi There,

Glad you at least got a solve in something. Play with the tracker more when you’re not on a tight deadline and get the hang of it. I recommend turning the surface and grid on while you track so that you can see what the track is doing while you track.

Sorry for the delayed response, Siggraph was this week, I’ve been offline in the LA convention center.

Cheers!
Mary

What specifically are you trying to track? Is it stabilization or trying to insert a graphic?
Please describe your goal.
Thanks,
R

What specifically are you trying to track? Is it stabilization or trying to insert a graphic?
Please describe your goal.

Thanks,
R