Tracking callouts created with Title Studio

Hi

Is there a way to track callouts I have created in Title Studio?
Or generally what is the fastest optimal way to track callouts? Is Mocha the right program for this purpose at all?

Thank you!

Hello,

BCC Match Move would be my recommendation. It would allow you to set the Match Move forground to the Title Studio layer, and drive the motion tracking with the built in Mocha Point Tracker.

What host are you working in? I can walk you through the basic workflow.

That would be great, Adobe user here.

Sure thing!

In Adobe After Effects, with Continuum 2019:

1. Create a new solid and apply Title Studio to it.
  2. Select or design your call out.
  3. Turn off the layer visibility and drag your clip into the composition.
  4. Apply BCC Match Move to the video clip.
  5. Launch the Mocha Motion Tracker.
  6. In the Mocha UI, position BOTH the Crosshairs and the Search Area on the object you wish to track, and track forward.
  7. Once you have a solid track, save out of Mocha to return to the AE Host.
  8. Open the Match Move sub group.
  9. Set the MM Forground to the solid layer that you applied Title Studio to.
  10. Set the Source to “Effects & Masks”
  11. You can use the Offset X and Offset Y parameters to tweak the position of the callout as needed.

I hope this helps!

If using Premiere, Vin’s suggestions are ideal.

If using After Effects, also note that you can use built-in Mocha AE tracking (included with AE) to do the tracking. You can apply the Mocha tracking to a NULL layer and then parent that to your Title Studio layer. I find this method simpler than using Match Move.

Lastly, Title Studio also has the option to use “Comp Camera” so you could optionally use AE’s 3D Camera tracker or Mocha Pro’s 3D Camera Solve modules. But also note that most call out type animations look best when the track is limited to X,Y transformations and not too much rotation or perspective. Hope it helps.
-R

Thanks guys! I will try out both workflows and see what’s more suitable for me.

Appreciated!

Hi,

in Resolve 15 it doesn’t work for me. Maybe I have a mistake and someone can help me.

My workflow is:

• Copy footage to Timeline
  • Copy Solid Color over footage on Timeline and match size
  • Right click on solid color and create Compound Clip
  • Mark compound clip to active
  • Switch to color page
  • Create a new serial node and copy BCC Title Studio to this node
  • Modify title as needed
  • Add a alpha output to nodes
  • Connect Title Studio node to alpha output to node
  • On Title Studio node switch to “use OFX Alpha”
  • Switch to Footage in timeline, create a new node and copy BCC Match Move to them
  • On Match Move properties open Motion Tracker / Mocha and start mocha motion tracker
  • Adjust tracking point and start tracking
  • Save them and go back to resolve
  • Open Match move properties
  • Switch MM Foreground to Source B
  • Switch MM Background to Source A

But the Foreground does not want to follow the track. If I´m change the Foreground to Background the motion path works, but not on Title.

Any Hints?

Hello together,

now I’m able to answer my question myself. On the color tab on footage you have to track the motion with BCC match move and after title studio you have to create a serial node with BCC match move and import the tracking path. Then it’s work correctly.

@BorisFX: Why doesn’t we find such a thing in the description? Further, it looks like the documentation for version 11 is not 2019 (12).

Please post more example from different hosts so its easier to reconstruct.

Many thanks & best regards

Any tips on performing a similar method in Media Composer? I can’t seem to get it to work… TIA

Here is the technique to use in Avid Media Composer:

There are two available workflows for applying mocha tracking data to Title Studio clips in Continuum 2019 in Avid/AVX. Either workflow below produces the same final result so go with whichever seems easier. The key is to use either Continuum’s Match Move or Corner Pin filters to do the actual tracking and compositing of the title. The steps below are written for Match Move, but the same basic stacking logic applies to Corner Pin as well. We have plans to improve the tracking integration with Title Studio in the future, but for now this is the recommended technique.

Worflow 1 - Pull in the title from the track below
-Apply Title Studio on V1 and set up the title as desired.
-Set the Background menu near the top of Title Studio to None. This makes sure the alpha of the title is preserved.
-Now place the video where you want to insert tracked text on V2
-Apply Match Move on V2
-Under the Match Move param group set the MM Foreground to 1st Below. You should now see your title (with proper alpha) applied over the clip
-Open the Motion Tracker / Mocha group, launch Mocha, track, and then apply back to the host.
-Scrub and you should now see the title follow the track.
-Fine tune with the transform settings as necessary.

Workflow 2 - Stack the tracking filter (Match Move or Corner Pin) on top of Title Studio.
-Put the background clip V1
-Apply Title Studio to filler on V2 and set up the title as desired.
-Set the Background menu near the top of Title Studio to None. Initially this makes the title composite over black but this makes sure the alpha of the title is preserved for the next steps.
-ALT+Drag Match Move on top of Title Studio so they are stacked.
-Under the Match Move param group set the MM Foreground to Filter Layer. Now you see your title over the background again.
-Change MM Background to 1st Below. (Doesn’t seem to change anything but this is what tells mocha to track the background layer in the next step.)
-Open the Motion Tracker / Mocha group, launch Mocha, track, and then apply back to the host.
-Fine tune with the transform settings as necessary.