Tracking data off when reopening file

Hello fellow mocha engineers,
I’m new to using mocha AE CS5.5, so pardon if this question has already been solved.
I spent my evening last night happily using the X-Spline layer tool along with a planar surface to track a window shot. All is well with the tracking and I’m able to have this tracking data effectively shape in other footage to view out the window.
I saved the .mocha file (many times over, considering the amount of manual work I had to do) and went to bed very happy with all that.
Today when I tried to reopened the file, the tracking data is probably about 50% accurate, the X-Spline layers are off on some of the keyframes, as are the planar surface points.
Any immediate ideas come to mind for resolution? Or how to avoid this in the future? I did come across a couple of other pages with this issue when scouring Google, but could not find a way to resolve.
Thanks in advance for assistance!
Andrew

OK, let me elaborate! :slight_smile:
So, mocha has a planar surface that it calculates, when you have a lot of Z space perspective rotation that “surface” can go behind the “camera” that looks at the pixels in mocha. Basically, mocha is not able to calculate the negative positions of the surface. It is something we are working on fixing.
Image: http://verydemotivational.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/129152509185804670.jpg
The best way to ensure this doesn’t happen is to look at what the surface and grid are doing and make sure they’re not heading off screen. The surface may have gotten somehow reset and this is what happened to your shapes. You may be able to recover from an auto-save.
This is a known problem, so you have to be extra careful with your surface for shots that shift over (roughly) 140 degrees in z space.
Cheers,
Mary

Hi There,
It sounds like your planar surface is going “behind” the camera in mocha. Do you have a lot of rotation and perspective shift on the object you are trying to track?
Cheers,
Mary

Hi There,

It sounds like your planar surface is going “behind” the camera in mocha. Do you have a lot of rotation and perspective shift on the object you are trying to track?

Cheers,
Mary

OK, let me elaborate! :slight_smile:

So, mocha has a planar surface that it calculates, when you have a lot of Z space perspective rotation that “surface” can go behind the “camera” that looks at the pixels in mocha. Basically, mocha is not able to calculate the negative positions of the surface. It is something we are working on fixing.
Image: http://verydemotivational.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/129152509185804670.jpg

The best way to ensure this doesn’t happen is to look at what the surface and grid are doing and make sure they’re not heading off screen. The surface may have gotten somehow reset and this is what happened to your shapes. You may be able to recover from an auto-save.

This is a known problem, so you have to be extra careful with your surface for shots that shift over (roughly) 140 degrees in z space.

Cheers,
Mary

Hello fellow mocha engineers,

I’m new to using mocha AE CS5.5, so pardon if this question has already been solved.

I spent my evening last night happily using the X-Spline layer tool along with a planar surface to track a window shot. All is well with the tracking and I’m able to have this tracking data effectively shape in other footage to view out the window.

I saved the .mocha file (many times over, considering the amount of manual work I had to do) and went to bed very happy with all that.

Today when I tried to reopened the file, the tracking data is probably about 50% accurate, the X-Spline layers are off on some of the keyframes, as are the planar surface points.

Any immediate ideas come to mind for resolution? Or how to avoid this in the future? I did come across a couple of other pages with this issue when scouring Google, but could not find a way to resolve.

Thanks in advance for assistance!

Andrew

Found this old post that has the same issue as mine:
http://forum.imagineersystems.com/archive/index.php/t-968.html

Found this old post that has the same issue as mine:
http://forum.imagineersystems.com/archive/index.php/t-968.html

Hi Mary,
Yes, I do in fact. The footage was shot with a steady-cam rig that was moving from the left of the window to reveal it as it panned right.
Can you elaborate on “It sounds like your planar surface is going “behind” the camera in mocha.” Is this something I can fix or?
I am also curious as to whether mocha recalculates the tracking on reopen (which would be odd seeming)? Basically I had to do a bunch of manual keyframes for the movement to look smooth with the steady-cam movements.
Thanks so much for your help!
Andrew

Hi Mary,

Yes, I do in fact. The footage was shot with a steady-cam rig that was moving from the left of the window to reveal it as it panned right.

Can you elaborate on “It sounds like your planar surface is going “behind” the camera in mocha.” Is this something I can fix or?

I am also curious as to whether mocha recalculates the tracking on reopen (which would be odd seeming)? Basically I had to do a bunch of manual keyframes for the movement to look smooth with the steady-cam movements.

Thanks so much for your help!

Andrew