Tracking movement in Cartoons to apply paint fixing

Hello fellow Mocha users, I’m new to the forum and I have a question.
Scenario: I have an episode of a very well known animated children’s series which has robots shooting guns. The national broadcaster would like the weapons to look less realistic and so have asked our editing department to apply paint fixes to 130 shots. I need a fast workflow to track the movement of the weapons and then apply the requested elements over top of the guns.
The material is giving us all fits trying to track. Can someone please educate me about why we’re having so much trouble? When using Mocha to track live action it’s brilliant!
Please and thank you.
The Coach

Hello fellow Mocha users, I’m new to the forum and I have a question.
Scenario: I have an episode of a very well known animated children’s series which has robots shooting guns. The national broadcaster would like the weapons to look less realistic and so have asked our editing department to apply paint fixes to 130 shots. I need a fast workflow to track the movement of the weapons and then apply the requested elements over top of the guns.
The material is giving us all fits trying to track. Can someone please educate me about why we’re having so much trouble? When using Mocha to track live action it’s brilliant!
Please and thank you.

The Coach

Hello Mary and thank you for your prompt reply.
I’ve not done any pre-work to the media i.e. removing and freezing frames
As of yet, I’ve only tried tracking the planar movement. I’ve sent you a clip, you should have it in your in-box already…
And thanks again.
~Coach~

Hello Mary and thank you for your prompt reply.
I’ve not done any pre-work to the media i.e. removing and freezing frames
As of yet, I’ve only tried tracking the planar movement. I’ve sent you a clip, you should have it in your in-box already…
And thanks again.

~Coach~

Well, I have a few questions in order to figure out why, but animation is, in general, much harder for us to track because of the lack of texture to determine pixel motion.
Is your animation tweened for every frame or is it on 2s? If it freezes for every two frames, you will want to be careful about how you animate your roto, or you’ll want to take every other frame out and then fix your data to freeze every other frame afterwards.
Have your tried tracking translation, scale, and rotation only? Skew and perspective will be harder to calculate because of the lack of “real” movement.
You will need to up your %of pixels tracked by quite a lot, the more detail the better for animation.
If you’re totally stuck, send me a short clip of a hard section of your shot via ftp and I will look at it.
Cheers,
Mary

Well, I have a few questions in order to figure out why, but animation is, in general, much harder for us to track because of the lack of texture to determine pixel motion.

Is your animation tweened for every frame or is it on 2s? If it freezes for every two frames, you will want to be careful about how you animate your roto, or you’ll want to take every other frame out and then fix your data to freeze every other frame afterwards.

Have your tried tracking translation, scale, and rotation only? Skew and perspective will be harder to calculate because of the lack of “real” movement.

You will need to up your %of pixels tracked by quite a lot, the more detail the better for animation.

If you’re totally stuck, send me a short clip of a hard section of your shot via ftp and I will look at it.

Cheers,
Mary

In case anyone has a similar issue:
I played around with your file but the file was interlaced, which was causing some major issues for me on top of the lack of texture in the shot, so I de-interlaced the file and tried again. MUCH BETTER!

1. I drew a tracking shape around as much of the gun as possible to grab as much detail as possible
  2. I turned skew and perspective tracking off, there’s not enough texture data to get that sort of information in cell-shaded animation
  3. I increased the %angle I was looking for inside that shape
  4. I increased my %of pixels tracked
  5. I did an adjust track on the shot itself
  6. I created finer roto for the barrel
  7. I linked my roto to that adjust track layer
  8. I adjusted my roto for a few keyframes
    This gave me much better results, and might help anyone else trying to track animation.

In case anyone has a similar issue:

I played around with your file but the file was interlaced, which was causing some major issues for me on top of the lack of texture in the shot, so I de-interlaced the file and tried again. MUCH BETTER!

1. I drew a tracking shape around as much of the gun as possible to grab as much detail as possible
  2. I turned skew and perspective tracking off, there’s not enough texture data to get that sort of information in cell-shaded animation
  3. I increased the %angle I was looking for inside that shape
  4. I increased my %of pixels tracked
  5. I did an adjust track on the shot itself
  6. I created finer roto for the barrel
  7. I linked my roto to that adjust track layer
  8. I adjusted my roto for a few keyframes

This gave me much better results, and might help anyone else trying to track animation.