Tracking movement/scale of a SPINNING dancer's head!

Hello all,
I’ve been watching lots of tutorials and looking on forums and can’t seem to find an answer to my problem (if there is a solution!)
I have a long steadycam shot of a dancer. I want to track the dancer’s head so I can add some text floating/conencted above them, so want to gather movement and scale data.
Now the problem is the dancer often does a 360 spin. This means for Mocha the plane (the face) rotates and then vanishes. Currently I’ve been tracking the head in seperate little stages - when it’s just in profile so Mocha can get a nice track on it - and manually tracking the text later in AE to cover the spins.
Is this the best way, or is there a way Mocha can get past the dancer’s spins and I can track the whole shot in one go? Or more to the point: is there a way mocha can track the whole general shape of the head, rather than the details of the face?
Thanks in advance
Dave

Hi Dave,
Have you tried tracking only translation? That might solve your issue. Or you may need to switch to manual track in mocha Pro for when she spins completely around and continue to track after.
Cheers,
Mary

Hi Dave,

Have you tried tracking only translation? That might solve your issue. Or you may need to switch to manual track in mocha Pro for when she spins completely around and continue to track after.

Cheers,
Mary

Hi Dave,
OK, you can try to just use translation and scale then and see where that gets you. Manual track shouldn’t offset your track at all. Basically, you use the surface (this is the only time moving the surface affects the track) from one part of the shot to another, with manual animation, and then continue to track. I have a breakdown of manual track here: http://www.imagineersystems.com/videos/manual-track/view?searchterm=manual%20track
Past that, I’d need to see what’s going on to give you more info. You can send me the shot and I can take a look at it, or share your screen on skype and I can help walk you through the process. Email me for FTP info if you want me to take a look… or my skype info is mary.poplin
Cheers,
Mary

Hi Dave,

OK, you can try to just use translation and scale then and see where that gets you. Manual track shouldn’t offset your track at all. Basically, you use the surface (this is the only time moving the surface affects the track) from one part of the shot to another, with manual animation, and then continue to track. I have a breakdown of manual track here: http://www.imagineersystems.com/videos/manual-track/view?searchterm=manual%20track

Past that, I’d need to see what’s going on to give you more info. You can send me the shot and I can take a look at it, or share your screen on skype and I can help walk you through the process. Email me for FTP info if you want me to take a look… or my skype info is mary.poplin

Cheers,
Mary

Thanks Mary, I’ll give it a go with manual tracking (thanks for your tutorial) and I’m sure I’ll figure it out. Really appreciate your offer of looking at the footage - I’ll get in touch if I get stuck!
Thanks again, such great help here
Dave

Hello all,

I’ve been watching lots of tutorials and looking on forums and can’t seem to find an answer to my problem (if there is a solution!)

I have a long steadycam shot of a dancer. I want to track the dancer’s head so I can add some text floating/conencted above them, so want to gather movement and scale data.

Now the problem is the dancer often does a 360 spin. This means for Mocha the plane (the face) rotates and then vanishes. Currently I’ve been tracking the head in seperate little stages - when it’s just in profile so Mocha can get a nice track on it - and manually tracking the text later in AE to cover the spins.

Is this the best way, or is there a way Mocha can get past the dancer’s spins and I can track the whole shot in one go? Or more to the point: is there a way mocha can track the whole general shape of the head, rather than the details of the face?

Thanks in advance
Dave

Hi Mary,
Thanks for the quick reply. Just did a quick test and tracking only translation certainly improved things on the spin. However I suppose if I do this though I’ll have to try and match the scale changes myself in After Effects later? This is a bit of shame as that amazing Mocha look of CGI being truly connected to an object is what I’m after.
Is the manual track in mocha Pro different to the manual track in mocha AE?
I always get a bit confused with manual track. If I just reposition the head shape I’ve drawn over the head manually that doesn’t export correctly into AE (<- despite being pretty experienced with Mocha I know this is a classic newbie mistake, but I just can’t get my head round manual track!)
Thanks
D

Hi Mary,

Thanks for the quick reply. Just did a quick test and tracking only translation certainly improved things on the spin. However I suppose if I do this though I’ll have to try and match the scale changes myself in After Effects later? This is a bit of shame as that amazing Mocha look of CGI being truly connected to an object is what I’m after.

Is the manual track in mocha Pro different to the manual track in mocha AE?
I always get a bit confused with manual track. If I just reposition the head shape I’ve drawn over the head manually that doesn’t export correctly into AE (<- despite being pretty experienced with Mocha I know this is a classic newbie mistake, but I just can’t get my head round manual track!)

Thanks
D

Thanks Mary, I’ll give it a go with manual tracking (thanks for your tutorial) and I’m sure I’ll figure it out. Really appreciate your offer of looking at the footage - I’ll get in touch if I get stuck!

Thanks again, such great help here
Dave