Transferring Mocha Tracking to AE shrinking my image

I’m trying to transfer Mocha tracking data to After Effects comp and it’s shrinking my image.
Am comping a computer monitor with 4 images inside of it. I’ve precomped these 4 images as a quad screen split. When I apply the Mocha tracking data to this pre -omped layer it shrinks the image down so small I can’t see it and the tracking data is unusable. I’m sure there is something very simple I am missing. I’m new to Mocha and After Effects, help!

I’m trying to transfer Mocha tracking data to After Effects comp and it’s shrinking my image.
Am comping a computer monitor with 4 images inside of it. I’ve precomped these 4 images as a quad screen split. When I apply the Mocha tracking data to this pre -omped layer it shrinks the image down so small I can’t see it and the tracking data is unusable. I’m sure there is something very simple I am missing. I’m new to Mocha and After Effects, help!

Thanks, I’m not sure what you mean by align the surface to the size of the frame on the frame in mocha where your comps line up in AE?
I don’t have this problem if I’m just comping one image into a monitor the tracking info transfers no problem. But if I have pre-comped something with say 4 images in a monitor the tracking data shrinks the image to a tiny thumbnail and I’m stuck.
The entire shot is 3 different monitors in two of them I have quad images that I have pre-comped in After Effects, the 3rd I pre-comped with just 2 images and it worked fine.
The first two with the quad images in a pre-comp will not take the tracking data. I even exported this comp as a QT and brought it back in and had the same problem when I tried to paste the tracking info onto the clip, it shrunk!
So align the surface to the size of the frame on the frame in mocha where your comps line up in AE? I don’t understand what you are asking me to try. A little more detail, sorry I’m a beginner!
Thanks!

Thanks, I’m not sure what you mean by align the surface to the size of the frame on the frame in mocha where your comps line up in AE?

I don’t have this problem if I’m just comping one image into a monitor the tracking info transfers no problem. But if I have pre-comped something with say 4 images in a monitor the tracking data shrinks the image to a tiny thumbnail and I’m stuck.

The entire shot is 3 different monitors in two of them I have quad images that I have pre-comped in After Effects, the 3rd I pre-comped with just 2 images and it worked fine.
The first two with the quad images in a pre-comp will not take the tracking data. I even exported this comp as a QT and brought it back in and had the same problem when I tried to paste the tracking info onto the clip, it shrunk!

So align the surface to the size of the frame on the frame in mocha where your comps line up in AE? I don’t understand what you are asking me to try. A little more detail, sorry I’m a beginner!
Thanks!

I’ve checked resolution, aspect ration and frame rate and they are the same in Mocha and my After Effects project.

I’ve checked resolution, aspect ration and frame rate and they are the same in Mocha and my After Effects project.

Mary,
I have a shot with 3 monitors, 2 of them contain a pre-comp with a quad split of images, one of them contains only one image, so I have no problem with that one. I’ve already checked and aspect ratio and frame rate are identical in both comp settings, Mocha and AE. If I set the surface area for the full frame that usually works but I am having issues with the pre-comp quad images not lining up exactly anyway, I think it may have to do with screen track area or my initial lining up of the images before I pre-compose the layer, I think seems to be the problem.
Do you have a tutorial that shows how to track areas that are obscured?

Yes I went through all the steps here but I still have the same problem. I’m on the correct frame when I paste back in the Mocha tracking data. I have the surface area set to the inside of the monitor scree, when I paste the tracking data onto my pre-comp the image does not line up it is shrunken. If I corner pin it to the edge of the full frame the pre-comp lines up but then I lose all my corner pin data and the image drifts.

Hey Mary,
I’ve tried lining up the surface area to the full frame 4 corners as well in Mocha before exporting to AE, but then I have the opposite problem the pre-comp expands to be too large. I’m a bit confused I’ve looked at tutorials for screen replacement and they say to position the surface area to match the screen area you are replacing, but you are saying before I export to change the surface area to the full frame of the clip?

Hey Mary,
I’ve tried lining up the surface area to the full frame 4 corners as well in Mocha before exporting to AE, but then I have the opposite problem the pre-comp expands to be too large. I’m a bit confused I’ve looked at tutorials for screen replacement and they say to position the surface area to match the screen area you are replacing, but you are saying before I export to change the surface area to the full frame of the clip?

Hey Mary,
One more problem I’m having. I have one screen replacement that is not a pre-comp but it’s been flipped using corner pin in After Effects. When I copy the Mocha tracking data over it flips the image back, any way of fixing this? Thanks!

Hey Mary,
One more problem I’m having. I have one screen replacement that is not a pre-comp but it’s been flipped using corner pin in After Effects. When I copy the Mocha tracking data over it flips the image back, any way of fixing this? Thanks!

Yes I went through all the steps here but I still have the same problem. I’m on the correct frame when I paste back in the Mocha tracking data. I have the surface area set to the inside of the monitor scree, when I paste the tracking data onto my pre-comp the image does not line up it is shrunken. If I corner pin it to the edge of the full frame the pre-comp lines up but then I lose all my corner pin data and the image drifts.

Mary,
I have a shot with 3 monitors, 2 of them contain a pre-comp with a quad split of images, one of them contains only one image, so I have no problem with that one. I’ve already checked and aspect ratio and frame rate are identical in both comp settings, Mocha and AE. If I set the surface area for the full frame that usually works but I am having issues with the pre-comp quad images not lining up exactly anyway, I think it may have to do with screen track area or my initial lining up of the images before I pre-compose the layer, I think seems to be the problem.
Do you have a tutorial that shows how to track areas that are obscured?

Hi There,
It sounds like you’re skipping the vital step of aligning the surface to the four corners of the comp inside mocha and then exporting that to AE.
Let me know if that does not work for you.
Cheers,
Mary

Hi There,
Try aligning the surface to the size of the frames on the frame in mocha where your comps line up in AE, that should do it. And make sure you are pasting in on the first frame, and that your clip settings match from AE to mocha (aspect ratio, resolution, and frame rate).
If aligning the surface doesn’t work, let me know, and we’ll troubleshoot. You might also want to check out our videos on corner pinning on our website, www.mocha-pro.com.
Cheers,
Mary

Response sent via email:

So! It looks like you’ll probably need to use manual track. Do you know how to use manual track? Basically, it’s pretty easy, you just align your surface to the screen. Key that frame. Click one frame towards the obstruction, switch to manual track on the track tab, and hand animate the screen from the point of occlusion to the end of it. Add a keyframe at the end to go back to normal tracking.

As far as slight drift, if that’s in the mocha track, make sure you use adjust track. You define four elements on the plane to track, set them at the masters for the shot, and adjust them at the height of their animation arcs.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

Hi There,

Try aligning the surface to the size of the frames on the frame in mocha where your comps line up in AE, that should do it. And make sure you are pasting in on the first frame, and that your clip settings match from AE to mocha (aspect ratio, resolution, and frame rate).

If aligning the surface doesn’t work, let me know, and we’ll troubleshoot. You might also want to check out our videos on corner pinning on our website, www.mocha-pro.com.

Cheers,
Mary

OK! It’s great everything else lines up, so we can rule that out!
So what I mean is whatever frame your insert is lined up perfectly on in after effects, that is the frame you need to navigate to in mocha when you align the surface. Does that make better sense? If you’ve lined your precomp up in AE on frame one, then frame one is where you align the surface in mocha.
We have a walkthrough of the entire process from beginning to end right here: mocha Pro demo live from IBC 2011 in Amsterdam - YouTube
It’s only about 3 minutes long as is pretty easy to follow. You’ll see what I mean about the align to surface tool towards the end. If you still have questions, please let me know, and I’ll do my best to break it down further.
Cheers!
Mary

OK! It’s great everything else lines up, so we can rule that out!

So what I mean is whatever frame your insert is lined up perfectly on in after effects, that is the frame you need to navigate to in mocha when you align the surface. Does that make better sense? If you’ve lined your precomp up in AE on frame one, then frame one is where you align the surface in mocha.

We have a walkthrough of the entire process from beginning to end right here: mocha Pro demo live from IBC 2011 in Amsterdam - YouTube

It’s only about 3 minutes long as is pretty easy to follow. You’ll see what I mean about the align to surface tool towards the end. If you still have questions, please let me know, and I’ll do my best to break it down further.

Cheers!
Mary