Transform Tool vs QWE

Hi,
I’ve been using Mocha CS6 for all of my Mocha work, but I just had a chance to use Mocha Pro for the first time. In Mocha CS6, I got pretty fast using QWE to do position, scale rotation, and I’m wondering if there is any way to NOT have to use the transform tool to affect multiple layers, but instead use QWE on multiple layers at once, without having the Transform Tool visible/active? I just find it faster to hold down Q/W/E than to put the cursor in exactly the right spot over the Transform Tool box to do the transform I want - it also allows me to do a transform with my cursor anywhere on the screen, or around a specific rotation point, as opposed to hovering over the TT.
Is my thinking right on this? Or is there an aspect or subtlety of the TT that I am missing?
Thanks

Basically I’m asking if you have to use the Transform Tool to position/scale/rotate multiple layers simultaneously. Or if there is a way to manipulate multiple layers at once, using QWE, like you would with a single layer, without using the Transform Tool

Hi,

I’ve been using Mocha CS6 for all of my Mocha work, but I just had a chance to use Mocha Pro for the first time. In Mocha CS6, I got pretty fast using QWE to do position, scale rotation, and I’m wondering if there is any way to NOT have to use the transform tool to affect multiple layers, but instead use QWE on multiple layers at once, without having the Transform Tool visible/active? I just find it faster to hold down Q/W/E than to put the cursor in exactly the right spot over the Transform Tool box to do the transform I want - it also allows me to do a transform with my cursor anywhere on the screen, or around a specific rotation point, as opposed to hovering over the TT.

Is my thinking right on this? Or is there an aspect or subtlety of the TT that I am missing?

Thanks

Basically I’m asking if you have to use the Transform Tool to position/scale/rotate multiple layers simultaneously. Or if there is a way to manipulate multiple layers at once, using QWE, like you would with a single layer, without using the Transform Tool

To elaborate, when I select multiple layers, without the Transform Tool enabled, with multiple layers selected, holding down Q/W/E only affects the last layer selected. Is that as-intended, or am I doing something wrong?

To elaborate, when I select multiple layers, without the Transform Tool enabled, with multiple layers selected, holding down Q/W/E only affects the last layer selected. Is that as-intended, or am I doing something wrong?

Speaking for myself, it’s something that I’d definitely like to see for the following reasons:

• it only makes sense that if you have multiple layers selected, whatever QWE transform you have momentarily (or permanently) selected should apply to whatever layer(s) you have selected. Plus, I’m not sure that there is any benefit to the way that it currently works, having the last-selected layer respond to QWE.
  • having the new capabilities of the Transform are great and now essential. But I’m finding myself really only wanting to use it for non-uniform scaling. I feel like it takes so much longer to hover your cursor over the correct spot on the Transform Tool to do the transform you want to do vs. holding down Q/W/E to instantly get the tool you want to use.
  • it’s really handy & quick to alter the position of a selection with your cursor anywhere on the screen. Similarly, it’s great to be able to rotate a selection about any base point you choose. With the Transform Tool, to do a position/rotation/scale, change, your cursor has to be hovering in exactly the right spot, and as far as I can tell, can only rotate about the center of the Transform Tool bounding box. Finally, it’s really nice to not have the extra visual clutter of the Transform Tool bounding box, unless absolutely necessary - especially when you have multiple splines/layers selected. The bounding box is necessarily going to intersect an edge somewhere, making that particular edge harder to align precisely.
    As long as we’re talking about feature requests, here are a couple others:
  • auto-cycle layer spline colors. This is a super-handy thing that is a preference in AE and really makes life better when dealing with multiple, overlapping masks/splines.
  • make it harder to accidentally de-select currently selected layers. I could aim this comment at a lot of software, but it is particularly relevant for when you’re doing a lot of manual roto.*Currently if you have a layer(s) selected, an inadvertent rogue click will de-select everything you currently have selected. It would be a nice time-saver / frustration-reducer if it was not quite to easy to de-select. If de-selecting resulted from something a little more deliberate, like a keystroke or even a double-click, those of us doing a lot of manual roto might appreciate it. I think something along these lines was just introduced into the Nuke 7 RotoPaint node, and it would be pretty great to have in Mocha.
    I know none of this stuff is groundbreaking (or deal-breaking), but the little bits of time saved on these kinds of little repetitive tasks really adds up.
    Forgive me if something I just mentioned already exists. If that’s the case, please let me know…Thanks!

Speaking for myself, it’s something that I’d definitely like to see for the following reasons:

• it only makes sense that if you have multiple layers selected, whatever QWE transform you have momentarily (or permanently) selected should apply to whatever layer(s) you have selected. Plus, I’m not sure that there is any benefit to the way that it currently works, having the last-selected layer respond to QWE.

• having the new capabilities of the Transform are great and now essential. But I’m finding myself really only wanting to use it for non-uniform scaling. I feel like it takes so much longer to hover your cursor over the correct spot on the Transform Tool to do the transform you want to do vs. holding down Q/W/E to instantly get the tool you want to use.

• it’s really handy & quick to alter the position of a selection with your cursor anywhere on the screen. Similarly, it’s great to be able to rotate a selection about any base point you choose. With the Transform Tool, to do a position/rotation/scale, change, your cursor has to be hovering in exactly the right spot, and as far as I can tell, can only rotate about the center of the Transform Tool bounding box. Finally, it’s really nice to not have the extra visual clutter of the Transform Tool bounding box, unless absolutely necessary - especially when you have multiple splines/layers selected. The bounding box is necessarily going to intersect an edge somewhere, making that particular edge harder to align precisely.

As long as we’re talking about feature requests, here are a couple others:

• auto-cycle layer spline colors. This is a super-handy thing that is a preference in AE and really makes life better when dealing with multiple, overlapping masks/splines.

• make it harder to accidentally de-select currently selected layers. I could aim this comment at a lot of software, but it is particularly relevant for when you’re doing a lot of manual roto.*Currently if you have a layer(s) selected, an inadvertent rogue click will de-select everything you currently have selected. It would be a nice time-saver / frustration-reducer if it was not quite to easy to de-select. If de-selecting resulted from something a little more deliberate, like a keystroke or even a double-click, those of us doing a lot of manual roto might appreciate it. I think something along these lines was just introduced into the Nuke 7 RotoPaint node, and it would be pretty great to have in Mocha.

I know none of this stuff is groundbreaking (or deal-breaking), but the little bits of time saved on these kinds of little repetitive tasks really adds up.

Forgive me if something I just mentioned already exists. If that’s the case, please let me know…Thanks!

The only thing that’s already covered is spline colors and matte colors, you can change those manually already, but not automatically.

I will send this to our product manager to talk about adding to our customer wish list. Thanks for the input, this is how we improve software.

Cheers!
Mary

You should also be able to use the various scale/rotation/transform tools in addition to the main transform tool. Is that what you are asking? Sorry for the confusion.

You should also be able to use the various scale/rotation/transform tools in addition to the main transform tool. Is that what you are asking? Sorry for the confusion.

Ah, thank you for elaborating. Yes, the individual transforms work on only one layer at a time, but the transform tool works on multiple layers. That is working as intended.
I can submit individual transforms working on multiple layers as a feature request, if that is something you think would add meaningful improvements to your workflow.

Ah, thank you for elaborating. Yes, the individual transforms work on only one layer at a time, but the transform tool works on multiple layers. That is working as intended.

I can submit individual transforms working on multiple layers as a feature request, if that is something you think would add meaningful improvements to your workflow.

The only thing that’s already covered is spline colors and matte colors, you can change those manually already, but not automatically.
I will send this to our product manager to talk about adding to our customer wish list. Thanks for the input, this is how we improve software.
Cheers!
Mary

good stuff.
I also only use the transform tool for non-uniform scale, find it visually cluttering and find it laborious to get the cursor in just the right place to activate the various modes.
The current method for selecting and deselecting points is not great. Maya’s setup is probably the best:
shift click or shift drag: toggle a selection
control click or control drag: add to selection
shift + control: subtract from selection
selecting goes into the undo que
pretty sure shake uses roughly the same controls as well, cept for the undo.
I agree, hot keys should work on whatever is selected. 1 layer + individual points from another, even.
T

good stuff.

I also only use the transform tool for non-uniform scale, find it visually cluttering and find it laborious to get the cursor in just the right place to activate the various modes.

The current method for selecting and deselecting points is not great. Maya’s setup is probably the best:
shift click or shift drag: toggle a selection
control click or control drag: add to selection
shift + control: subtract from selection
selecting goes into the undo que

pretty sure shake uses roughly the same controls as well, cept for the undo.

I agree, hot keys should work on whatever is selected. 1 layer + individual points from another, even.

T