Trouble trying to import portion of video file

(Windows 8.1, After Effects CC 2014, mocha AE CC 4.0.1)

I’m working with a .mov file (~17 minutes long) that is a compilation of all the shots that need to be worked on. I need to work on a clip in it only ~3 seconds. I have the footage cut to where I need in an After Effects comp, and selecting the layer, send it to mocha through “Animation” -> “Track in mocha AE”. When mocha AE starts I get the New Project window. If I just hit ok, it works, but it imports the entire clip. When I match the start and end frames of the “Import Clip” options (Fig 1), I get an error that says, “Cannot set frame 6204 with only 85 frames in project” (Fig 2). When I check the in and out points they’re set to 12408 and 12492.

Am I missing something or doing something wrong?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

(apologies for mouse writing)

Hi there,

You can either trim the clip down to what you need or you can not set the frame to 6204. Just try using the default when you send to AE and see if that fixes it. Please let me know if you have any questions and I will be happy to help you.

Does importing the whole clip bog down mocha with caching?

Also I added some information about how the in and out points are set to frames that are past the clip length.

No, it’s just that we are designed for a VFX pipeline where the footage length is set. However, as workflows are changing due to things like roundtripping from Premiere to AE, we are working on adjusting this workflow.

Ok, I was thinking it might have something to do with that. Ideally we would be working with individual clips, but for this particular project we ended up forgoing that step.

Thanks so much for the quick help.