Trying to mirror roto shapes

Hello everyone,

I have some footage with talent that is being cut off by a camera. I’m in the process of painting out the camera and operator but need to reconstruct the talent the is being blocked.

Is there a way to roto the side that is visible and copy and mirror the shapes on the opposite side to help me rebuild the side that is blocked.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gus

Something like this will work for you.

1 Like

Thanks Marco. I hooked everything up the way you demonstrated but I’m still not getting the results I’m looking for in the final comp view. I have included samples of the set up and results and a copy of what I’m looking for that I did quickly in Nuke.

Thanks for all your help.

-Gus

Your are not using the correct output of the Roto node. Try using the far left output.

after I sent that message I realized that so I changed it and the whole image flipped. I’m trying to get the roto shapes to flop and not the whole image. I was able to do it rather easily in Nuke in the sample provided but I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong in my Silhouette setup.

Thanks for all the help Marco and sorry for so many questions.

I am not sure what the problem you are experiencing is. The shape in the roto node creates an alpha channel. If you flop the output of the Roto node, the RGBA channels are flopped. You can them comp that over a background. It works the same as Nuke.

I guess I’m used to only seeing the alpha flipped and then the whole image appear when you transform move the roto shape into position.

I think what’s throwing me off is that once I view the the flop image, the whale image appears instead of just the roto shape.

If that’s the case is there a way to just view the images flop within the roto shape only? Sample provided.

Silhouette is an unpremultiplied compositing system, so if you are viewing the flop after the roto, yes the entire image RGB and Alpha all flop. If you view the Composite node in Silhouette, you will see the Foreground RGBA cutout over the background.

I new it was something simple and once again you saved my day. One finale question, so if I put a transform node after the Flop I should be able to move that piece into position correct?

Use the Transform node instead of Flop. Disable the lock icon to the right of the Scale parameters in Transform, set the X (first numeric Scale field ) to -100. Your image is now flopped. You can then use the Position slider to move the cutout around.

THAT’S PERFECT Marco. That’s exactly what I wanted. Thanks again for being so patient and answering all my questions.

Ok…one final question, now that the mirror works I will have at least 3-4 shapes that will be mirrored that I will need to view thru one composite node that also has paint in the tree.

What is the best way to join all shapes with there transforms to view thru on final composite node?

Also is there a way to reposition or nodge the transform circle closer to your object when zoomed in? Currently having to zoom in and out to reposition shapes.

Samples provided.

We don’t have a multiple source composite node, so you will have to composite each shape and transform separately. The Paint can be used in the final composite node or hooked into each composite’s background.

You can nudge the transform by pressing Ctrl/Cmd when dragging on the numeric field in the parameters window.

Thanks again Marco for all your wisdom. I appreciate you.