Unable to leave frame 1

I took a video with my iPhone 4S and then encoded it as an H.264 at 720p. When I view the video normally or in After Effects it plays perfectly. When I then tell AE to load it up in mocha, I can’t get past the first frame. Mocha AE shows that it has multiple frames, but I can’t move off the first one.

I’m brand new to mocha, so I apologize for such a basic question.

Can you clarify that a little bit please? What came out of the phone was a .mov file, and then I ran that through Adobe Media Encoder to change it to a normal H.264 via the Broadcast -> H.264 -> HD 720p option.

What should I actually be picking to convert it to from that list?

When I opened the .MOV pulled off the phone directly inside of Quicktime Player it played without issue.

I converted it to a TIFF sequence as you suggested and loaded that into AE and then sent to Mocha AE and that one does allow me to do tracking. Thank you!

Hi there,

Just change the codec to a standard .mov instead of an iphone compressed .mp4, and should work after that. Very few movies work in mocha right out of camera, mocha is currently designed for a pipeline where footage gets converted to standard formats and then processed for VFX.

Cheers,
Mary

Oh! I thought it was right off the camera. Please make sure you can open the file in quicktime. If you can open the file in quicktime and have double-checked that your quicktime drivers and video drivers are up to date, then your files should work in mocha. There are certain types of codecs and file types that mocha can’t read, usually native, unprocessed codecs off of cameras and AVIs on Windows. It may be that you need to convert the file to something mocha would have an easier time of reading, like a quicktime or an image sequence. If your screen is black or white for clips but not for images, it is most likely the codec for the movie files that is causing the issue.

As a basic rule, mocha usually can’t read anything quicktime can’t. So, if you’re ever unsure if mocha can read your files, you can test it again that way in the future. Rarely, though, quicktime is able to open files that mocha can’t. It’s just a good way to test the files before you load them into mocha.

However, you may want to try converting the clip to a file we know for sure that mocha recognizes, like a TIFF or JPEG sequence, to test and make sure that mocha is running properly. If it works on TIFFs, it is operating normally. But it sounds like your codecs are, for some reason, not registering with mocha at all. If you have to use “all files” to load in a file, mocha probably won’t read it.

While your clip files may be listed on our list of supported files (as an .MP4), it might be that there’s some sort of custom camera codec on your footage that is hanging mocha up. The reality of the situation is while we support many file types, we don’t necessarily support all of their compression codecs. Please use .mov for better results.

Any other quicktime format should work really, or another type of .avi, even h264 seems to work for me, so I am not sure why it isn’t working for you. So can you try changing the format of your movie to something like a standard quicktime? Even an image sequence would work.

Please let me know if you have any questions.