URGENT Pre-sale question. RE Stabilize Drone Footage

Greetings,
I have been using Mocha with AE CS5 now for sometime and have just been handed some aerial footage from a drone that I need to stabilize. The tough part is that the camera is also moving in 3D space as are all parts of the subject. Getting good stabilization with Mocha 2.2 (for AE) has been tough to say the least.
I have looked and almost all of the tutorials and would love to hear any thoughts about my situation especially as it releates to upgrading to Mocha 3 Pro. Will the 3D camera tracker help me to stabilize this footage shot from a remote control drone? The upgrade price would be worth it if it would help make this job easier.
Comments greatly appreciated!:confused:
Rip

Hi Rip,
I would need to see the footage to recommend some options. Are you able to send a clip to us?
martinb[at]imagineersystems.com

Hi Rip,

I would need to see the footage to recommend some options. Are you able to send a clip to us?

martinb[at]imagineersystems.com

Hi Ripnoel,
Yes, you should also be able to track rotation just fine. But let us know if you have any problems.
Cheers,
Mary

Hi Ripnoel,

Yes, you should also be able to track rotation just fine. But let us know if you have any problems.

Cheers,
Mary

Hi Martin,

The first 3 minutes is my attempt to stabilize, the second 3 is the raw footage.
Here is a link to where I am at with this project:

- YouTube.

I placed timecode over the footage so we can discuss. Also at 3:00min is a non-stabilized version for your reference too.

The main issue I am having is that for many of my shots there is no one pattern that remains viewable for the entire duration of the shot. I need to get this to a network executive producer today so any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thx, Rip:)

Greetings,

I have been using Mocha with AE CS5 now for sometime and have just been handed some aerial footage from a drone that I need to stabilize. The tough part is that the camera is also moving in 3D space as are all parts of the subject. Getting good stabilization with Mocha 2.2 (for AE) has been tough to say the least.

I have looked and almost all of the tutorials and would love to hear any thoughts about my situation especially as it releates to upgrading to Mocha 3 Pro. Will the 3D camera tracker help me to stabilize this footage shot from a remote control drone? The upgrade price would be worth it if it would help make this job easier.

Comments greatly appreciated!:confused:

Rip

Hi Martin,
The first 3 minutes is my attempt to stabilize, the second 3 is the raw footage.
Here is a link to where I am at with this project:
- YouTube.
I placed timecode over the footage so we can discuss. Also at 3:00min is a non-stabilized version for your reference too.
The main issue I am having is that for many of my shots there is no one pattern that remains viewable for the entire duration of the shot. I need to get this to a network executive producer today so any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.
Thx, Rip:)

Hi Ross,
Yes working on each shot by itself. What about tracking rotation since the camera is literally
floating above the background and has quite a bit of yaw?
Thanks for the suggestions I will check out the video.
Rip

Hi Ross,

Yes working on each shot by itself. What about tracking rotation since the camera is literally
floating above the background and has quite a bit of yaw?

Thanks for the suggestions I will check out the video.

Rip

Martin should be coming on in a few hrs. In the meantime, I looked at your clip.
A few comments:

1. Hopefully you are breaking the clips into separate mocha projects. This is essential.
  2. Assuming that you are only tryign to remove small jotters, I would recommend finding the most consistent areas in each clip and track only the x,y movement.
  3. If an area goes offscreen, stop the tracker and move the shape to an area that is on the same relative plane, then keep tracking.
  4. Check out unlinking/panning tutorial: http://www.imagineersystems.com/videos/04_advanced_tracking.m4v/view (go to 9:20)
    good luck
    R

Martin should be coming on in a few hrs. In the meantime, I looked at your clip.

A few comments:

1. Hopefully you are breaking the clips into separate mocha projects. This is essential.
  2. Assuming that you are only tryign to remove small jotters, I would recommend finding the most consistent areas in each clip and track only the x,y movement.
  3. If an area goes offscreen, stop the tracker and move the shape to an area that is on the same relative plane, then keep tracking.
  4. Check out unlinking/panning tutorial: http://www.imagineersystems.com/videos/04_advanced_tracking.m4v/view (go to 9:20)

good luck
R