Verizon Map effect

Hey guys I have Mocha for After Effects 2 and After Effects CS5 and on a Mac. I was wondering how I would pull off the Verizon map commercial where the maps hover above head and when they turn there head it rotates with it. I have tried several things. I made a X spine shape around the head and used all 5 motion options, I have used Translation, scale, rotation, and sheer, then just translation, scale, rotation, then translation and scale. It seems the scale is wrong I can’t re-size it in after effects. What should I do?

Hi songweaver,

I’d have to see the commercial you are referring to. Do you have a youtube/vimeo link to it?

Are you trying to track a rotation that moves with the left-to-right rotation of the head, or are you trying to track the tilt?

The scale of the track is relative to the size of the surface, which you can adjust at any point. Normally the easiest thing to do is make the surface full-frame with the “Align Surface” button then set up your initial positon of the map in AE and precomp it before applying the corner pin data.

Depending on the angle of the head, you should be able to track around the eye area (the flattest plane of the face). Track with perspective on if there is a large movement. The nose is going to get in the way if there is a large head turn.

Once you have tracked, you can either apply your corner pin data to a map that is the same dimensions as the original clip you tracked, or set up the initial position of the plane and then precomp it, making sure you use Align Surface in the mocha tools to make the track full frame instead.

For example, say I wanted the map in a rectnagle to the right of the man’s head:

1. In After Effects, set up the map’s position where you would like it to be at that frame. Use corner pin etc. If you need it to start with some perspective/skew
  2. Precomp the layer, putting all attributes inside the new comp.
  3. In mocha go to the same frame and with your tracked layer selected, hit Align Surface (under the layers panel). If you have surface turned on you should see the blue rectangle fills the frame.
  4. Export the corner pin, preferably with motion blur if you need it
  5. Paste the data to the precomped layer in after effects

Depending on the angle of the head, you should be able to track around the eye area (the flattest plane of the face). Track with perspective on if there is a large movement. The nose is going to get in the way if there is a large head turn.
Once you have tracked, you can either apply your corner pin data to a map that is the same dimensions as the original clip you tracked, or set up the initial position of the plane and then precomp it, making sure you use Align Surface in the mocha tools to make the track full frame instead.
For example, say I wanted the map in a rectnagle to the right of the man’s head:

1. In After Effects, set up the map’s position where you would like it to be at that frame. Use corner pin etc. If you need it to start with some perspective/skew
  2. Precomp the layer, putting all attributes inside the new comp.
  3. In mocha go to the same frame and with your tracked layer selected, hit Align Surface (under the layers panel). If you have surface turned on you should see the blue rectangle fills the frame.
  4. Export the corner pin, preferably with motion blur if you need it
  5. Paste the data to the precomped layer in after effects

Another technique would be to simply track the x/y and scale of the actor’s face and use that as master keyframes for an AE null. Then hand animate the layer with 3D rotation in AE.

In these kind of spots, the graphics are usually quite “smoothed” out relative to the actual actor’s motion - so it may help to smooth out or average the keyframes as well.

Would love to see the final project.
Cheers,
R

Another technique would be to simply track the x/y and scale of the actor’s face and use that as master keyframes for an AE null. Then hand animate the layer with 3D rotation in AE.
In these kind of spots, the graphics are usually quite “smoothed” out relative to the actual actor’s motion - so it may help to smooth out or average the keyframes as well.
Would love to see the final project.
Cheers,
R

These are both great suggestions! I will give them a go and let you know.

Hey guys I have Mocha for After Effects 2 and After Effects CS5 and on a Mac. I was wondering how I would pull off the Verizon map commercial where the maps hover above head and when they turn there head it rotates with it. I have tried several things. I made a X spine shape around the head and used all 5 motion options, I have used Translation, scale, rotation, and sheer, then just translation, scale, rotation, then translation and scale. It seems the scale is wrong I can’t re-size it in after effects. What should I do?

Here the basic idea, but in others I’ve seen its gone over there heads.

Here the basic idea, but in others I’ve seen its gone over there heads.

These are both great suggestions! I will give them a go and let you know.

I used MartinB’s suggestion and it worked quite well. I hope to post the results soon.

I used MartinB’s suggestion and it worked quite well. I hope to post the results soon.