VR Reorient Render Quality in Resolve 16

I am having issues with quality when rendering any 360 clips that have the Reorient filter applied. Other non-360 clips render at high quality, while the 360 clips are just terrible. I have tried playing with every setting, but nothing is working. Has anyone else had this problem and solved it? Thanks

We’re not aware of any such issue. Can you provide more details to help us reproduce:
-Which version of Continuum?
-Which version of Resolve 16?
-What OS?
-What GPU

Can you send a screenshot to help us understand the kind of quality problem you’re seeing?

Cheers,
Jason

-Which version of Continuum? 2020
-Which version of Resolve 16? - 16.1.2.026
-What OS? Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
-What GPU - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Here are links to the non-360 and 360 screenshots
http://deigsler.com/files/Non360Screenshot.png
http://deigsler.com/files/360Screenshot.png

These are both from the same render.

Thanks in advance for your help Jason!

Thanks!

More questions:
-Does it only appear to lose resolution when the View Mode menu is set to something other than Full? Or are you rendering with that menu set to Full? I.e. are you adjusting the orientation but keeping the footage 360, or are you using Reorient to “convert” to non-360 frames? If you’re trying to convert from 360 to non-360 using this filter in Resolve via the View Modes options, keep in mind that you’re going to lose resolution. Resolve doesn’t let you mix different clip resolutions in one timeline (or more precisely it converts them to all be the same resolution as the project size). Thus if you’re converting to non-360 then you’re effectively “zooming in” on just a sub-portion of the original clip, but still outputting at the original resolution so the pixels get enlarged by quite a bit and will look lower resolution. Not sure this is what’s happening in your situation but it might be. If that’s the case you might need to work in a host like After Effects that give’s effects direct access to mixed resolution clips so you can import higher res 360 clips and output them as lower res non-360.
-What are the resolutions of the media and project? Any chance you can send us a sample of the footage and a Resolve project file? You could send them offlist directly to me: jclement at borisfx dot com

I think you may have hit on the issue with the different resolutions and the importing/exporting and reorienting. I am going to try some things and let you know the outcome. Appreciate your time Jason.

No problem! Let us know what you learn.

Jason

Hi Jason, I sent an email to you but maybe it did not get to you. So I will post here just in case.

After more attempts I am still having no success.

Here are the details of my project.

Workflow:

Exported OneX video from Insta360 Studio as MP4 – 3840x1920 – 360 footage.

Imported OneX video into project with timeline 1920x1080.

Applied BCC Reorient in order to create non-360 footage with different views – View Mode Preview.

Exported timeline as 1920x1080 MP4.

The first 4 clips in video are 360 footage with Reorient, the last clip is non-360 footage 3840x2160.

Here is a link to a zip file containing the sample exported footage as well as the project file.

http://deigsler.com/files/360Project.zip

Thanks Jason, I really appreciate you taking the time to help me on this. I have some great footage and would love to be able to point as well as animate the camera view for the 360 clips. Just need the quality to be there.

Thanks! We’ll take a look and let you know what we find.

Hi,

The issue again boils down to the problem of Resolve not being able to handle mixed resolution clips in the same timeline without conforming them, plus the fact that when converting 360 to non-360 you’re effectively zooming in on just a sub-portion of the clip so you want plenty of spare resolution in the VR clip to begin with. Here is what is happening in your approach:

1. When you import the 3840x1920 clip into a 1920x1080 timeline in Resolve, the first thing Resolve does is shrink that larger clip down to 1920x1080. So you’re losing half the original resolution right off the bat and this extra resolution is gone before the BCC Reorient filter is even called.
  2. Then when you convert from 360 to non-360 views with BCC Reorient on that clip you are effectively zooming back in on part of the image by a factor of roughly 3, so again you’re losing a ton of resolution.

One approach you could try is to convert the clips to non-360 views at the ORIGINAL resolution as a first step. So you would create a 3840x1920 timeline in Resolve and apply BCC Reorient at that point. This way when the Reorient filter in Preview mode converts to non-360 views (zooming in by ~3x) it still has the original full resolution to work with instead of only having half the original resolution to work with. Then you can embed those non-360 intermediates into the final 1920x1080 resolution timeline. That should save you about 2x resolution compared to your initial workflow. Even then though, you’re still effectively zooming into your original footage by a significant amount so it’s not realistic to expect it to look as clean as native 1920x1080. Can you get higher resolution 360 clips to begin with? E.g. can you get full 5760 x 2880 from the OneX to use as starting points. If so then you could work in a 5760x2880 timeline initially for converting to the non-360 views which would give you more raw resolution to begin with, and then when you shrink to 1920x1080 you’re starting with a cleaner source.

Cheers,
Jason

You might also want to consider working with After Effects and/or Premiere for this type of task instead of Resolve. The Adobe hosts have more comprehensive and flexible native VR toolsets and if you’re striving for maximum quality here, then you’re more likely to retain maximum resolution with those dedicated VR toolsets in Adobe than by “faking it” in Resolve. Really VR Reorient was intended to reorient 360 footage but to remain in 360, not primarily to convert from 360 to flat. It does have the Preview mode that lets you see the flat view, but that was primarily intended just to help temporarily preview as part of setting up the eventual 360 result. If you use it for conversion like this you wind up battling the resolution problems you’re encountering which are then made worse by Resolve’s conformance of mixed resolutions.

Thanks Jason! I had used Adobe for many years but this past year just had enough of their ever increasing subscription model. Decided to take the plunge and make a one time purchase instead of the constant bleeding. Even with these limitations, it is still better for me. Really do appreciate your time and explanations. Cheers!