I hope you’re well. I’m currently in the midst of trying to match move a particularly challenging shot for a client of mine in order to integrate 3D elements. I’ll typically default to the Camera Tracker in Fusion for a shot like this, but there’s a great deal of motion blur that’s interfering with a good solve. The footage is 4K and shot handheld. We follow the actor as he walks towards the edge of the cliff, he stops at the edge, and the camera tilts down to look into the valley below.
I’ve used Mocha Pro extensively for roto and planar tracks, but haven’t given the camera solver much attention. It seems like the answer to my problems, but I suspect something might be off in my workflow.
I’ve included a link to a screenshot of my Mocha window showing where I’ve placed my splines. Of note, the one on the bottom right and top right do disappear eventually as he ends up covering the right side of the frame:
Some of the trainings from Boris had mentioned having at least 2 planar surfaces, so I thought I’d be able to improve the quality with more of them and making sure they cover both sides of the frame and have them cover the different levels of parallax in the scene.
Also, there are times when Mocha loses the planar track, so in these instances I set the end point on my current spline, back up about 30 frames, and create a new spline to overlap the previous one. I’m wondering if this is part of the issue as in other shots I’ve done I’ll typically aim to have a spline track all the way through without interruption.
Which brings me to one of my central questions: is it okay for me to use multiple splines tracking the same surface? Or should I aim to use one spline all the way through? If I’m using multiple splines over the course of a shot for the same surface, is Mocha able to figure that out?
As a spline starts to leave the frame, I’ll animate it so it can continue to track, which I also thought was okay. I’ve also double-checked using the grid and all of the splines currently in my scene seem to maintain the perspective properly. All splines are also being tracked with at least 70% of pixels used (most often 90% or more) and perspective is turned on for all of them.
I just feel like I must be missing something. I’ve only been able to get a solve quality of 50% at most, selecting different combinations of parameters for the solve, auto included. Apologies for the lengthy post, but I hope someone can offer some guidance!
All the best,
Intel i9 10900KF
Nvidia 3090 Founders Edition
Fusion Studio 17
Mocha Pro OFX Plugin