What are the exact rules for the remove module

From somewhere here in the forum I had got the impression that soft edges have no effect in the remove tool. That soft edges would be possible through the blend parameter in the remove tool. Meanwhile I found that soft edges in the region to be removed do have an effect. Is that correct or is that a different effect ? What does the blend parameter then do?
I also found that the layer that defines the region to be removed can have a holdout if there is a layer above that’s set to subtract. Can I also subtract parts from the search area ? In that case the layer to be removed could not lie one above the layer with the search region.
So all in all: Where can I find the exact rules what has to lie where to have which effect? :slight_smile:
I think I understand the logic in the tracking module, but I am not sure in the remove module where it seems to be a bit different.
Thanks!
Peter

Feathered edges are not currently used for the removal process on the remove layer, so the dissolve is used on the edges instead.
Select either Blend or Randomize and increase the width value to reduce artifacts which sometimes can be seen when illumination modelling fails.
This option causes pixels from different frames to be dissolved into each other to avoid tearing artifacts.
Blend uses alpha blending from the replaced areas to either the original pixels or the recently replaced areas.
Randomize mixes original and replaced pixels in a random way to achieve a similar effect.
For mattes, consider each layer to be in front of each other in a foreground/background relationship. This is useful if you need to block out objects in front of the object you want to remove.
You need mattes for:

• The object you want to remove
  • The background
  • The areas you don’t want to be removed that overlap the remove layer.
    For example, if you are removing a person and a car drives in front of them, you want to mask out the car so you don’t remove the car and the car isn’t treated as part of the background, so the layering would be:
    Car layer
    Person layer
    Background layer
    However you would also need to make sure that the rendering cog for the Car layer is switched off, or parts of it will also be removed.
    I hope this helps!
    http://www.imagineersystems.com/support/Documentation/remove-overview

Feathered edges are not currently used for the removal process on the remove layer, so the dissolve is used on the edges instead.

Select either Blend or Randomize and increase the width value to reduce artifacts which sometimes can be seen when illumination modelling fails.

This option causes pixels from different frames to be dissolved into each other to avoid tearing artifacts.

Blend uses alpha blending from the replaced areas to either the original pixels or the recently replaced areas.

Randomize mixes original and replaced pixels in a random way to achieve a similar effect.

For mattes, consider each layer to be in front of each other in a foreground/background relationship. This is useful if you need to block out objects in front of the object you want to remove.

You need mattes for:

• The object you want to remove
  • The background
  • The areas you don’t want to be removed that overlap the remove layer.

For example, if you are removing a person and a car drives in front of them, you want to mask out the car so you don’t remove the car and the car isn’t treated as part of the background, so the layering would be:

Car layer
Person layer
Background layer

However you would also need to make sure that the rendering cog for the Car layer is switched off, or parts of it will also be removed.

I hope this helps!

http://www.imagineersystems.com/support/Documentation/remove-overview

You should be able to just draw on the same layer with a new shape and get an intersection of those shapes to create holes.
Can you show me an example screen shot of the soft-edge remove?

You should be able to just draw on the same layer with a new shape and get an intersection of those shapes to create holes.

Can you show me an example screen shot of the soft-edge remove?

Hello Martin,

thanks, for Your explanation. There are 2 thing I still don’t understand:

First, I found that a feathered edge does make a softer remove. You say that’s not possible?
I had a remove with visible insert edges. Then softened the edge on the remove layer (not the background) and that solved the problem.
How could that be ?

To stay in Your example:
I had a feathered edge on the person and it removed the person with that soft edge from the background.

The second thing is:
I would be most interrested in holdouts for the background layer. I can fully confirm Your example. I did use (again soft) holdout for the remove layer (the person). But I had the case that unwanted parts from the background are used for the replacement. Sometimes you can shape the background spline in a way not to include unwanted replacement parts. But if there is something in the middle of a large background area I would like to punch a hole in the background so that unwanted parts are no longer seen by the remove module. Is that possible ? Or can I use multiple splines on the same layer ? Maybe even overlapping ?

Thanks!

Peter

>From somewhere here in the forum I had got the impression that soft edges have no effect in the remove tool. That soft edges would be possible through the blend parameter in the remove tool. Meanwhile I found that soft edges in the region to be removed do have an effect. Is that correct or is that a different effect ? What does the blend parameter then do?

I also found that the layer that defines the region to be removed can have a holdout if there is a layer above that’s set to subtract. Can I also subtract parts from the search area ? In that case the layer to be removed could not lie one above the layer with the search region.

So all in all: Where can I find the exact rules what has to lie where to have which effect? :slight_smile:

I think I understand the logic in the tracking module, but I am not sure in the remove module where it seems to be a bit different.

Thanks!

Peter

Hello Martin,
thanks, for Your explanation. There are 2 thing I still don’t understand:
First, I found that a feathered edge does make a softer remove. You say that’s not possible?
I had a remove with visible insert edges. Then softened the edge on the remove layer (not the background) and that solved the problem.
How could that be ?
To stay in Your example:
I had a feathered edge on the person and it removed the person with that soft edge from the background.
The second thing is:
I would be most interrested in holdouts for the background layer. I can fully confirm Your example. I did use (again soft) holdout for the remove layer (the person). But I had the case that unwanted parts from the background are used for the replacement. Sometimes you can shape the background spline in a way not to include unwanted replacement parts. But if there is something in the middle of a large background area I would like to punch a hole in the background so that unwanted parts are no longer seen by the remove module. Is that possible ? Or can I use multiple splines on the same layer ? Maybe even overlapping ?
Thanks!
Peter