What is the FCPX workflow for Continuum VR?

I’m looking into using FCPX for a complex stereoscopic 360 project with will have a lot of 2D graphic elements composited into the sphere. The project uses files in ProRes 4444 with alpha.

Normally I use Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects, but FCPX seems to use my machine much more efficiently and plays back the footage without dropping frames.

I want to use the Continuum VR Insert effect to do my compositing because it does a better job of positioning my elements where they need to be in the sphere than the native FCPX 360 tools.

The problem I’m having is that BCC VR insert literally grinds FCPX to a halt. Everything slows way way down. I get a beachball with every parameter change and playback is laggy.

There are no instructions on the FCPX workflow on the help page for BCC VR insert but I followed the video tutorial and applied the effect on the background video, then selected the insert video in the drop zone. The effect works fine, but the entire application becomes so slow it’s unusable. Removing the effect, FCPX is fast again.

My background file is 6720x6720 ProRes 4444 w/alpha
My insert files are 4096x2160 ProRes 4444 w/alpha

Am I using the effect correctly? Anything I can do to get this working better?

Thanks!

Hello! Sorry to hear that the BCC VR filters are under performing on your system - would it be possible for you tp provide us with a sample project that we can look at to see if we can repro the issue in our labs? We’ll need to know the details on your system hardware and OS version as well as about a second of source video. You can send that directly to me - peterm@borisfx.com - and I’ll ask one of our QA group members to review it.

Thanks,
Peter.

1 Like