What is the licensing for created assets?

Can I export images and animations made by Optics and sell them in overlay/asset packs?

No, exporting internal images, embedded assets and animations as elements to then sell later as overlay/asset packs is not allowed as per the Boris FX end user license agreement.

Hi Marco, do you have a link handy to the eula that covers this topic? I wasn’t able to find it online.

The EULA appears when you install the software and is also located here: Boris FX | EULA

Thank you for that can you point me to the part of the EULA that outlines that?

4. Ownership

Company retains ownership of all Products and documentation and copies thereof, and reserves all rights not expressly granted in this Agreement. Licensee will maintain on any copies and any media the copyright notice and any other notices that appear on the Product and documentation. Licensee will not (and will not allow any third party to) (i) reverse engineer or attempt to discover any source code or underlying ideas or algorithms of any Product (except to the extent that applicable law prohibits reverse engineering restrictions), (ii) provide, lease, lend, use for timesharing or service bureau purposes or otherwise use or allow others to use a Product for the benefit of any third party, unless Licensee and Company have entered into a Software Rental House Addendum to this Agreement, or (iii) use any Product, or allow the transfer, transmission, export, or re-export of any Product or portion thereof in violation of any export control laws or regulations administered by the U.S. Commerce Department, U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control, British Government, or any other government agency.

Thank you but I am just trying to understand this better. I’m assuming the part that applies to my question is “(iii) use any Product, or allow the transfer, transmission, export, or re-export of any Product or portion thereof in violation of any export control laws or regulations administered by the U.S. Commerce Department, U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control, British Government, or any other government agency.”

So what export control laws and regulations etc. would I be violating by making an original particle preset for instance and exporting it as a still / video and selling that in a pack of other similar assets? Another similar question to my main one is what about selling original preset packs to other Optics users?

Directly copying internal assets and selling them would not be allowed, but if you are creating original works, that would be OK.

Of course! If I can get a hang of the powerful particle illusions engine I might do so with original creations. Thank you for the information.