What just happened?

Hello,
I’m trying to track a very long aerial sequence in Mohca Pro in order to use the stabilize module. Basically because the shot moves around a lot and there are many obstructions to the ground surface that I’m tracking I knew I was going to have to adjust the tracking x-spline several times to get a solid lock on the ground(well, different parts of the ground as the shot progresses). Anyway after about 1.5 hours of tracking(it’s a very long shot), I decided to move the surface that I had started with to lock onto some lines that were on the ground but only showed up at a later point in the sequence. After I finished tracking I get black portions in the video in the stabilize module…basically I discovered that the surface at one point jumps between the initial point where I set it up and then final point(confirmed by turning on the “Trace” button)…this is basically causing the video to jump outside the viewing frame hence the black portions of the clip. I couldn’t find any!
key frames for surfaces in the “adjustTrack” line on the dope sheet and I’m not sure how to reset the surface to either the final shape that I adjusted towards the end of the video or the initial shape that I started off with…obviously I could re-track but I don’t want to spend another 3 hours playing around with the x-spline. Any solution for this?

Hello,
I’m trying to track a very long aerial sequence in Mohca Pro in order to use the stabilize module. Basically because the shot moves around a lot and there are many obstructions to the ground surface that I’m tracking I knew I was going to have to adjust the tracking x-spline several times to get a solid lock on the ground(well, different parts of the ground as the shot progresses). Anyway after about 1.5 hours of tracking(it’s a very long shot), I decided to move the surface that I had started with to lock onto some lines that were on the ground but only showed up at a later point in the sequence. After I finished tracking I get black portions in the video in the stabilize module…basically I discovered that the surface at one point jumps between the initial point where I set it up and then final point(confirmed by turning on the “Trace” button)…this is basically causing the video to jump outside the viewing frame hence the black portions of the clip. I couldn’t find any!
key frames for surfaces in the “adjustTrack” line on the dope sheet and I’m not sure how to reset the surface to either the final shape that I adjusted towards the end of the video or the initial shape that I started off with…obviously I could re-track but I don’t want to spend another 3 hours playing around with the x-spline. Any solution for this?

—Quote (Originally by martinb)—
Have you used manual track at any point during the shot? If not, it is just the normal progression of the surface or there is some bad tracking information. If it is a single drift point this may be fixable in the AdjustTrack module.
To be clear, the shape itself is not manipulating the tracking data. It is the search area, so it only provides the tracking with information. The surface and grid show you what the actual tracking is doing.
If you can send me a video example of the issue that may help to further narrow down the problem.
—End Quote—
Hi Martin,
Thanks so much for your reply. No I have not done any manual tracking at all, as I said I simply realigned the surface towards the end of the sequence because I had better guides in the image than in the begining of the video. I’ve since retracked the footage but unfortunately couldn’t get stabilization to work very well so I’m not sure if it’s the way I’m doing the tracking or something else. How can I send you an example of the overall issue? Just post on the forum?

—Quote (Originally by martinb)—
Have you used manual track at any point during the shot? If not, it is just the normal progression of the surface or there is some bad tracking information. If it is a single drift point this may be fixable in the AdjustTrack module.

To be clear, the shape itself is not manipulating the tracking data. It is the search area, so it only provides the tracking with information. The surface and grid show you what the actual tracking is doing.

If you can send me a video example of the issue that may help to further narrow down the problem.
—End Quote—
Hi Martin,
Thanks so much for your reply. No I have not done any manual tracking at all, as I said I simply realigned the surface towards the end of the sequence because I had better guides in the image than in the begining of the video. I’ve since retracked the footage but unfortunately couldn’t get stabilization to work very well so I’m not sure if it’s the way I’m doing the tracking or something else. How can I send you an example of the overall issue? Just post on the forum?

You can either record and upload the problem to youtube (if there footage isn’t private) or you can link a file. We only alow small files, so you might need a larger file site.
Alternatively you can email me at: martinb[at]imagineersystems.com

You can either record and upload the problem to youtube (if there footage isn’t private) or you can link a file. We only alow small files, so you might need a larger file site.

Alternatively you can email me at: martinb[at]imagineersystems.com