Working with ARRI ALEXA footage

Hey Mocha peeps,
I’m new on this forum and with Mocha. But I’m getting quick results. Beautiful piece of software. Thnx
I need everything I need to know about working with (Arri) ALEXA footage (ProRes4444 & before grading!).
What Colorspace should I import the footage with?
LOG? or leave it linear?
I would expect “LOG” > but then how do I work in PHTSHP with the background-plate colorspace? (see images attached)
Also, how can I tweak the LOG import color-parameters, after I already imported the clip into Mocha?
And how do I export shots from Mocha (also considering the colorspace)?
I finally want the shots back in my ProRes4444 edit FCP > final edit DPX sequence > Lustre grading.
Need a workflow here.
Would be much of help
peace,
Ruben
ruben@westframe.com

Hi Ruben,
It looks like you have this mostly figured out already. Provided you know the correct log settings to enter into mocha (you have used ref white 100 and ref black 50, where did you get these from?) you have the mocha part correct. When you export, tick Re-apply original gamma/log in the Export Rendered Clips dialogue.
The cleanplate file is in the original colourspace of the footage, so you should choose to assign the correct ARRI profile when loading into Photoshop.
Was your footage captured with the film matrix on or off? This would influence the choice of log settings in mocha and Photoshop.
Hope this helps,
J-P

Hi Ruben,

It looks like you have this mostly figured out already. Provided you know the correct log settings to enter into mocha (you have used ref white 100 and ref black 50, where did you get these from?) you have the mocha part correct. When you export, tick Re-apply original gamma/log in the Export Rendered Clips dialogue.

The cleanplate file is in the original colourspace of the footage, so you should choose to assign the correct ARRI profile when loading into Photoshop.

Was your footage captured with the film matrix on or off? This would influence the choice of log settings in mocha and Photoshop.

Hope this helps,

J-P

John-Paul
Just want to say, almost 12 hours later I figured it out with Mocha.
It’s beautiful. Mocha really works and does the magic wire removal. Little tweak and cheat here and there… BOOM, very difficult shot fixed.
Power to Mocha
the best,
Ruben @ Amsterdam

Thank you John-Paul

To answer your questions:

• the import log setting 100/50 was just a goes trial and error looking with my eye
  • what is “the correct ARRI profile” for PHTSHP ?
  • i don’t know if I shot the Alexa with film matrix on/off… DOP knows…
  • kan I also just use lineair colorspace instead of LOG? It seems much easier. Or do I loose data this way?

I’m having a hard time with my wire removal with Mocha.
Also I can’t find any rig/wire-removal examples with Mocha online (only one video). Any tips for me?

The best to you. Talk soon,
Ruben

Hey Mocha peeps,

I’m new on this forum and with Mocha. But I’m getting quick results. Beautiful piece of software. Thnx

I need everything I need to know about working with (Arri) ALEXA footage (ProRes4444 & before grading!).

What Colorspace should I import the footage with?
LOG? or leave it linear?

I would expect “LOG” > but then how do I work in PHTSHP with the background-plate colorspace? (see images attached)

Also, how can I tweak the LOG import color-parameters, after I already imported the clip into Mocha?

And how do I export shots from Mocha (also considering the colorspace)?

I finally want the shots back in my ProRes4444 edit FCP > final edit DPX sequence > Lustre grading.

Need a workflow here.

Would be much of help

peace,
Ruben

ruben@westframe.com

Thank you John-Paul
To answer your questions:

• the import log setting 100/50 was just a goes trial and error looking with my eye
  • what is “the correct ARRI profile” for PHTSHP ?
  • i don’t know if I shot the Alexa with film matrix on/off… DOP knows…
  • kan I also just use lineair colorspace instead of LOG? It seems much easier. Or do I loose data this way?
    I’m having a hard time with my wire removal with Mocha.
    Also I can’t find any rig/wire-removal examples with Mocha online (only one video). Any tips for me?
    The best to you. Talk soon,
    Ruben

John-Paul

Just want to say, almost 12 hours later I figured it out with Mocha.

It’s beautiful. Mocha really works and does the magic wire removal. Little tweak and cheat here and there… BOOM, very difficult shot fixed.

Power to Mocha

the best,

Ruben @ Amsterdam